Looking for a Mentor in Kansas - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:21 AM
Scrub Buck

Default Looking for a Mentor in Kansas

I am new to Hunting. I am 36 and just completed hunter's safety. I am not new to guns, just new to the sport. I was in the Army, so safety and handeling of guns is a priority with me. I have come to realize you can't just "go hunting." Hunting is a tradition that has to be handed down, and unfortunately, my family was not one that ever hunted. It is; however, a tradition I would like to start and hand down to my kids. I am just looking for someone willing to show me the ropes and get me on the right path. Don't figure going onto Public Land and sitting in a tree stand is the best way to go about learning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2011, 07:53 PM
B&C 140 Class

SM,

Welcome to DHC, for one. Hey bud, your heart's in the right place, and to me that's the important thing. I feel very fortunate to have had a grandfather to introduce me to hunting, although he passed away when I was but 13. Biggest thing I bagged back then was a nice tom turkey on Thanksgiving Day. Remember puking my guts out when he gutted the thing when we got back to the ranch house and the ladies were busy preparing the real turkey for the oven. I think mine went into the freezer for eating later.

Didn't start deer hunting until after retiring from the Army, many years later. Fortunately, I retired in rural Texas on 15 acres of land where the deer are plentiful enough. Took a few seasons to figure out that I lived on a major deer crossroads and the trails are well traveled.

Start out by getting to know some land owners willing to let you hunt, then scout the area for deer trails, scrapes, bedding down spots. Set out deer cams at possible spots to catch activity. I don't know what the rules/regs are for hunting in KS, so I can't help much in that area. There are other guys on this forum that live in your area so I hope one of them can help you out.

Take your kids to the range and get them comfortable behind their rifles. It's a great for you to pass on the safety and handling aspects you learned in the military. I do the same thing when I take my kids out behind the house to practice and/or zero in their rifles. With me it's ALWAYS -- SAFETY FIRST!

Again, welcome to DHC. Good luck and good hunting!!

RR
Old 10-07-2011, 06:37 AM

Hey buddy, welcome to the DHC. You're already off to a good start being able to hunt in Kansas. Find trails and use the wind, face the trails with the wind blowng at your face. If you are not comfy with sitting in a tree find an area that gives you good vision from the ground and again use the wind to your advantage. Using scent killing products on your clothing will be a great help as well.