Land owner's tags - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:26 PM
B&C 180 Class

Default Land owner's tags

Just curious if any other states have FREE landowner's tags for deer? For example, my father-in-law has 500+ acres of land so each year he gets about 6 doe tags and about 2 buck tags for free. Typically doe tags are around $9 and buck (any deer) tags are $19 this year. Does anyone else get these in your states?
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2011, 02:23 PM
B&C 140 Class

In Tennessee a landowner does not need to buy a license to hunt on their own land(s). They do, however, need to follow the regs. Our bag limit is 3deer/day here in this area though with 3 bucks total allowed (1/day). One other thing is that after you buy the proper licenses, there is no additional charge per deer harvested.

From the regs concerning those who do NOT need a license in Tennessee:
  • Residents born before March 1, 1926 (with proof of age and residency).
  • Military personnel on leave carrying leave papers.
  • Landowners, their spouses, and children who hunt on farmland which is owned by said landowners. The aforementioned must be residents of Tennessee but need not reside on the land. This license exemption does not apply if the farmland is owned jointly or in common by unrelated persons.
  • Resident grandchildren (under the age of 16) and resident great-grandchildren (under the age of 16) who hunt on farmland which is owned by their resident grandparents or great-grandparents.
  • Tenants, their spouses, and their dependent children who hunt on farmland owned by an individual or family. The aforementioned must be residents of Tennessee and must actually reside on the land and have the permission of the landowner to hunt. A tenant is a person who, for money, free rent, or other consideration, cares for farmland. The tenancy must be agricultural in nature.
  • First cousins who own farmland jointly or in common may fish and hunt small game on the farmland. Their children may fish and hunt small game as well.
  • Resident and nonresident youths under 13. Hunters ages 10-12 need only a hunter education certificate to hunt. However, youths 6-16 hunting big game on a WMA must have a valid Type 094 or Type 095 permit or quota permit, as applicable.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:37 PM

I live in TN as well and my bro in law never has to buy a license. Just prints off some form and takes it with him when he tags the deer. Must be nice.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:08 PM
B&C 160 Class

I had to buy my lic
Old 09-30-2011, 01:41 PM
Scrub Buck

Landowners do not have to have a license to hunt their property in Virginia either. But still have to follow the season regulations. I have about 30 acres of my own that I hunt but still buy a license to hunt the other farmland that I lease.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:43 PM
B&C 140 Class

In Illinois, if you have 39.5 acres you get free tags.
PSE 2006 FIRESTORM LITE #70
PSE 2009 TREESTAND GX #70
PSE 2010 1/2 AXE 6 #60
PSE 2011 EVO #70

The Devils Advocate

Revelation 22:17

Old 10-06-2011, 07:38 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Military Discount???

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckfever View Post
I live in TN as well and my bro in law never has to buy a license. Just prints off some form and takes it with him when he tags the deer. Must be nice.
Must be that military "discount" that he gets. Too bad it doesn't cover us old retarded (oops, retired) folks. Sure wouldn't mind seeing how my open sight Mosin would do against your TN deer.

But for adding "salt to the wound" . . . . TX active duty get's free licenses, too. But even then . . . . $25 for a license is cheap compared to what some folks have to pay.

RR
Old 10-06-2011, 07:49 PM
B&C 100 Class

It's a racket in NM, no cost to the landowner and the get as much as 7k when they sell it, elk anways. Deer go for less but it has a Lot of people upset. We have to enter public draws and seldom get drawn while the big landowners make a killing.

I don't begrudge a small landowner of a few hundred acres his tags but when you own tens of thousands and make a living off of animals that belong to the state it chaps my butt.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:40 AM

Local farmers get "nuisance" tags for deer. My buddy was given 10 tags for deer that mess up his farmer neighbors pastures and stuff.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:52 AM
B&C 100 Class

I rarely ever buy my license since my family has about 80 acres. All you have to do is go down to the courthouse in your county and get your parcel number, landowner name, relationship, and sign the form.

To those of you in TN, it has been thrown around by TWRA that if they don't get another license increase soon then they may take away the free landowner permits.

And to address the anger about large landowners in NM, do you have high fencing operations out there? Also, isn't NM one of the states that you can actually purchase the wildlife that is on your property? I think there is an acre requirement, but I know in some states a large-scale landowner can buy the wildlife (certain $ amount per animal) and then manage them as they want.