Lyme Disease - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:52 AM
Scrub Buck

Default Lyme Disease

Just wanted to say to everyone be careful of the ticks this year while hunting or otherwise. I was diagnosed with Lyme Disease about a month ago and it has been hell. Yall take care and use caution!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2011, 02:37 PM
B&C 140 Class

Thanks for the reminder VA hunter. That's good advice. Hope you get to feeling better.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Hunter View Post
Just wanted to say to everyone be careful of the ticks this year while hunting or otherwise. I was diagnosed with Lyme Disease about a month ago and it has been hell. Yall take care and use caution!

Yes thank you for the reminder and I hope you're felling better now.
When you are felling well enough can you give us some info as to how it's affected you.
What were the Signs/Symptoms? How are you being treated? is the Recovery time long?
Any info you share may help others. Thank you and Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:00 PM

Lyme disease knocked the heck out of my buddy in PA this year. He didn't know he had it and by then it had hit him hard. Talked to him last week and he is just now feeling slightly better. I've posted before, I'm very concerned about archery hunting this year in PA, as my cardio doc says not to ever get a nasty virus that can further damage the heart valve. Right now I could use additional info regarding the damage this disease can do. I've read general information like the rash, then joint aches, pains then neuro issues. Oh, sorry to hear you got it and hope for a full quick recovery.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:50 PM

That stinks. Hope your getting better now.

I now check myself for ticks anytime I have been out in the woods. Its the ones that hide in your hair that I think will get me for lyme disease. They seem the hardest to find for me.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:06 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckfever View Post
That stinks. Hope your getting better now.

I now check myself for ticks anytime I have been out in the woods. Its the ones that hide in your hair that I think will get me for lyme disease. They seem the hardest to find for me.
Yeah, I guess I will have to check my head better now as they may actually be able to reach skin,(used to look like Nugent in his hey day). Or I could shave it and make discovery a lot easier, though I hate the thought of the late season hunts.

I haven't seen the first tick yet this year and I am surprised at that. Last year in early summer they were all over the place.
PSE 2006 FIRESTORM LITE #70
PSE 2009 TREESTAND GX #70
PSE 2010 1/2 AXE 6 #60
PSE 2011 EVO #70

The Devils Advocate

Revelation 22:17

Old 09-21-2011, 10:59 AM
Scrub Buck

Default Lyme Disease

Thanks for all the well wishes. The thing with me was that i never had the bulls eye rash that is associated with Lyme. My doctor said that now only about 50% of the time a rash occurs. Mine started with the feeling that I was coming down with a cold and then one Sunday morning I couldn't get out of bed! It seemed that my back and both of my knees were almost frozen and any movement hurt like crazy. After that I went to the doc and they ran the test. I took 5 days to get results and during that time it felt as if I had been in a car wreck. Then the tiredness and fatigue set in. I had no energy to do anything and the more I slept the more it felt like I needed more. I have been on meds for 3 weeks and besides the pain being less I still fell about the same. My doctor said that it could take months and several rounds of meds to overcome. I will tell more later. Again thanks for your thoughts.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:10 PM
Scrub Buck

Default Lyme Disease

sorry to hear that, i worry about that a lot here in southern illinois, the primary season for them (ticks) here is may and june but caution never hurt anyone, best wishes for you and hope you recover quick
Old 09-26-2011, 08:39 PM
B&C 120 Class

Don't hesitate to get to the doctor with these symptons.My friend who owns the land I hunt on contracted Lyme several years ago in PA.He helped another hunter skin a doe that had ticks. Months later he got wet and cold and came down with a fever.His left knee swelled to double its size.He spent 3 weeks in Hershey Medical Center undergoing alot of tests.He was on many pills and all his joints hurt.It took a year of exercise to regain partial use of his left leg and another year to walk without a cane.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:19 PM

First year all my outside clothing gets sprayed with tick killer/repellent. PA is crawling with ticks!