Lyme Disease - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:31 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default Good News

Here are some facts about Lyme Disease:

1. Lyme Disease is spread by ONLY the Blacklegged Tick (deer tick).

2. Transmission is very slow. Often a tick removed within 48 hours will not give you Lyme Disease.

3. The tests for Lyme Disease are actually very poor and are tons of false positives (cases are actually thought to be about 50% lower than reported). However, almost ALL tick born diseases have the same signs and symptons. Doxcylene can be prescribed and will treat almost all of these diseases.

4. Bullseye rash is shown in about 80% of cases ( of Lyme Disease;similiar feeling diseases don't have the same kind of rash because the bacteria aren't of the same type). The rash is made up of the center (bite) point and the outer ring. The outer ring is actually the spiral bacteria moving out from the center through the connective tissue and the muscle tissue.

5. As far as TN (my state) goes, the reported cases of Lyme Disease (even diagnosed by doctor ones) happen at a time when the Blacklegged Tick isn't active. In TN the BLTick is more commonly active in the spring and late fall. However, most cases of disease are reported during summer months. This means that most cases are more likely allergic reactions or other types of disease. In TN the main disease to worry about is Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.

No matter what the diagnosis though, if you are feeling ill, GO to the DOCTOR. However, if you run into a cases where you get a blacklegged tick, preserve it when you pull it off just in case you feel bad afterward.

Also: I have a lot of information on wildlife in PowerPoint Slides, is there a way I can load a lot of the lectures I have on to this site?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2011, 11:11 AM
B&C 100 Class

feel better man.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:17 PM

The ticks in PA have a red abdomen, i assume those are deer ticks and the carriers of Lyme disease. I had one of my labs at the vet last week for a tick bite reaction, he (vet) told me to take antibotics a week prior to my PA hunt just to be protected.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:02 PM
B&C 100 Class

Antibiotics might not be a bad precursor before your hunt because it can keep some possible infections down. However, bites from ticks like the Lonestar Tick can actually cause allergic reactions without there being any actualy bacteria infections.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:27 PM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBruce1959 View Post
Yes thank you for the reminder and I hope you're felling better now.
When you are felling well enough can you give us some info as to how it's affected you.
What were the Signs/Symptoms? How are you being treated? is the Recovery time long?
Any info you share may help others. Thank you and Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
X2

Get well soon!

If you don't mind I too would like to know sign, symptoms and anything else. All I know is you get it from tick bites?
Old 10-05-2011, 08:20 PM
Scrub Buck

Smile Signs and Systems

The most obvious ign is the bullseye type rash but according to the most recent studies this only occur in 50% of the infections. I myself did not have the rash. I felt like I was coming down with the flu and then one day i could not get out of bed because of my joints aching so bad which is the next stage. After 21 days of intense antibiotics and other 2 weeks of recouperation i am finally starting to feel better but the doc says it could take months to really get over it. Anyway, Everyone keep this in mind and stay tick free.