just curious - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:15 PM
Scrub Buck

Default just curious

i believe hunting is different than killing deer and for most much much more than just killing deer, but in the end the name of the game "so to speak" is to bring deer home. I've been reading posts for a while now and i was just curious about something. i know that deer "hunting", rather killing, can be easier in parts of the country that have a lot of deer and more difficult in areas with less deer or in bigger forest like northern maine, northern wiss, northern min and places like that. so here's the wondering part; how many years have you hunted and how any deer have you taken in that time? i will start

hunting about 40 years, not kept count but i would think about 40ish all weapons. a couple bucks 4.5 age class but most less. i know many hunters have taken more but i'm in an area that doesn't have high numbers and its all woods no fields to speak of.

anyone keeping count? just curious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2011, 11:03 PM
B&C 140 Class

I have only been a "serious" deer hunter for about the last 10 years or so. Learned how to hunt from my grandfather when I was a kid, but never picked up buck fever until after retiring from the military. Even then, it took a few more years and borrowing a friend's Mosin-Nagant to really get the fever. A couple years deployed to the great big kitty litter box of Southwest Asia kept me from hunting, too.

Max deer for the county I live in is three. I've only max'd out my deer tag twice. Some years it would be two doe, some years a buck and a doe, but only recently did I get a buck and two doe. If I had to put down a real number, I'd make it an even dozen, but that's just a S.W.A.G.

One thing I do know, I intend to take that even dozen count to fifteen this year! <grin>
If I don't put three in the freezer this year, I know I'll have help from my two sons and my daughter.

Although I wouldn't mind some help from my son-in-law. You hear that BF???

RR
Old 09-08-2011, 11:31 PM

A rough guess would be something in the 60 deer kill area. Mostly PA deer, some Michigan and a couple of Ohio ones.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:37 PM
Scrub Buck

i got a few when i was younger but then quit hunting for about 7 years and in the past 7years i have taken around 25. I am more of a meat hunter since i have a very large family (6 kids). I guess im getting better each year cause my numbers are going up each year. Now that some kids are starting to move out I think that i will try to hunt for some bigger deer. Last year i got 5 and started duck hunting buy the first week of muzzle season (4 in bow season). I have started letting deer i used to shoot, walk and i have been seeing alot more deer. I dont really know if its cause im getting better or just lucky new spots. Probably just luck we will see this year.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:09 PM
B&C 140 Class

I will be starting my 13th season in a few weeks, and if I remember right I've taken 31 deer so far.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:26 PM

Things start to get a little fuzzy after awhile. I do remember my first buck a three pointer in PA, 1974 I believe. I too like to eat them and will try to fill a tag with a legal deer most times.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:35 PM
B&C 100 Class

I have been seriously deer hunting for the past five years. The first three seasons I killed one buck each season. Season before last I killed four does. Last season two does. So my total take in five years was nine deer, three bucks and six does. And all nine went in to the freezer. The last two seasons I let a lot of deer walk. The owner of the land I hunt doesn't want any bucks less than six point killed. The last three weeks of last season I was hunting specifically for a nice eight point that I got on my game camera. I never got a shot at him.

The bow season opens here on October 15, the gun season in mid November. They both run through January. The limit is two a day, one of which can be a buck. So I could legally kill about 210 deer a season if I killed the limit every day. (Don't worry, I don't get to hunt every day, still have to make a living!) There is a three buck season limit. They are obviously trying to get people to kill more does.

We don't have to fool with tags or checking deer when we kill them. All we have to do is add big game to the hunting license when we buy it. It bumps the cost up from $16 to $24.
(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:35 PM
B&C 140 Class

I started hunting deer about 42 years ago, but missed many seasons due to my former career (retired military). The job I have now (last 15 yrs or so) allows me to take a lot of time off and I hunt a good bit. I can legally shoot about as many deer as I'd want in Tennessee, but choose to hunt bucks most all of the time (except if harvesting for friends after tagged out for bucks). Somewhere north of sixty for sure with about 45 in the last 15 yrs, all but 4 or 5 being bucks.

For many years I hunted a great piece of land here in Tn where deer sightings were very plentiful and I'd see 200-250 shootable deer/year & harvest only 3-5. This was a densely wooded area with few openings of even an acre. I never killed any deer in a field until I'd deer hunted for about 35 years as a matter of fact. That area is now gone and my best area is now in Kentucky with it's way different limit of 1 buck & 1 doe. Additional doe tags are available at a small cost, but I've never bothered to buy any there.