Deer Hunting Forums banner

scent-lok

8K views 31 replies 8 participants last post by  Hunting Man 
G
#1 · (Edited)
..........................................................................................................................................................................
ALS Enterprises, Inc., owners and marketer of the Scent-Lok® brand of scent control hunting apparel, has claimed a major victory in the long-standing class action lawsuit that challenged the products’ ability to control human odor. After four years of litigation, which was brought by a group of five Minnesota hunters, a federal appeals court issued its decision on August 18, rejecting plaintiffs’ core allegations and overturning an injunction issued last year.

Among other things, the United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit noted that evidence introduced in the district court showed that carbon-containing hunting clothing dramatically outperformed non-carbon clothing at adsorbing odors: “Defendants’ expert, Dr. Hartman, conducted quantitative permeation testing and estimated that Defendants’ products ‘blocked’ ninety-six to ninety-nine percent of odor compounds, whereas non-carbon garments blocked only five to fifty-five percent.”

The Eighth Circuit also ruled that ALS’s use of the terms “odor eliminating” and “reactivation” in describing its products was not literally false, and that the district court had erred in basing “its determination of literal falsity on the most absolute of competing dictionary definitions of the word ‘eliminate.’” In support, the Court noted that “Defendants introduced evidence of substantial customer satisfaction with ALS’s Scent-Lok® products, as well as evidence that, when those products first came on the market in the early 1990’s, numerous soaps, powders, and cover sprays were being marketed to deer hunters as ‘odor-eliminating’ products.”

The Court also ruled that “Plaintiffs led the district court into error” in entering an injunction, and ordered the dismissal of all claims for injunctive relief because “Plaintiffs failed to prove both the requisite irreparable injury and their core allegations that Defendants’ use of the terms ‘odor eliminating’ and ‘reactivation’ were literally false.”

Scent-Lok® president and inventor of activated-carbon hunting apparel, Greg Sesselmann, commented: “We are gratified by the decision. It gives me great satisfaction that our products continue to provide hunters the ability to get close to wildlife and experience the beauty of nature like never before. At the same time, we are saddened at the burden that this lawsuit has caused our team members and their families, as well as the frustration that our retailers, field staff and sales rep organizations have experienced. We thank all of those who have stood beside us in this fight, especially our ultimate customers—people who have purchased Scent-Lok® gear and know that it works.”

See less See more
#3 ·
over priced stuff anyway. Now the new thing is silver in everything, except my bank account! :crybaby: Learn how to hunt and leave the scent worries at home. That may sound a bit ego minded but it's true. Do your best de-scenting by staying clean, using the wind, good stand placement and you're way ahead of any carbon clothing needs. That's my take on the Scent Lok issue!

#4 ·
Well said HM & I agree
I usually spend about $125 for my camo coat & pants not for just a shirt
like I have posted many times I do yous sent killer soap, shampoo & spray
seems to work just fine for me

G
#6 · (Edited)
not hired. a believer in the products based on personal in the field use. wish i was payed. posted to counter all the band wagon jumper oners posting the evils of scent-lok on here and other places and to help other hunters. 96% is better than 50% and $20 for a hat mask or $50 for a set of under garments is a far cry form $300. living with a closed mind must be comforting. whatever. do with the info as you wish

#8 ·
I feel I have fairly good success hunting
I have bought a lot of stuff over the years that was supposed to improve my hunting I figure it still costs me about $500 a pound of veni & turkey
I am not putting Scent Lok down but for the price I will skip it
a lot of products out there all but guarantee you a deer if you use their product
I found the best thing out there that works is just to hunt smart.
If you hunt smart you don't need 99% of the stuff on the market if you don't hunt smart 100% of the stuff on the market still won't help you

G
#12 · (Edited)
use what works for you. didn't put anyone down for their choices. can everyone that posted say the same in their hearts? just trying to help by clearing the fouled air. an advantage is an advantage make use of all you can.

#14 ·
Why is it when members post their opinions someone has to take it personal? If you like scent-lok products buy them. I think you can replicate any claims of odor elimination by simply using proper common sense scent elimination practices. If you believe in a product then stand by it just don't be a jerk about it.

#22 ·
First off, I truely want to apologize to our guest. I do realize I was being a jerk when I first posted about the scent-lok stuff... but that was b/c typically, (and everyone can back me on this) when we get a "first post" from someone and it's 3 pages long, typically, typically, typically, it's a spammer or something. That's why I was sarcastic. Now that I know you're a real person and you're going to JOIN OUR CLUB (hint hint), I'll lay off. Once again, to each his own, If you like scent-lok and it works for you, great... I don't have the money to spend on the stuff b/c in my eyes, it's waaaay overpriced. Does it work? Who really knows... I do have one suggestion though, guest.... buy us all a set and we'll try it out!!!! LOL ONLY joking, welcome from the TATOR.

#24 ·
HAHA HM
with people promoting stuff with attitudes like that you guys can have it I wouldn't use it for free I would donate it to the needy

G
#26 ·
things got out of hand. no disrespect meant toward any one. the hunt smart, blah blah, just don't try to convInce others you are smart, are just good ideas. thanks for the spelling correction.

yup ron white is right can't fix stupid. i've tried it don't work.

#27 ·
things got out of hand. no disrespect meant toward any one. the hunt smart, blah blah, just don't try to convInce others you are smart, are just good ideas. thanks for the spelling correction.

yup ron white is right can't fix stupid. I've tried it don't work.
no disrespect towards you either
just I have been burned many a times by
companies telling us their product will improve our success if we use their product that just plain don't live up to their name & charge a ton of money to make people think because it is expensive it has to work
& I don't try or need to convince anyone that I am smart. I learn new way's to hunt every time I am in the woods & try to share those experiences with others. If I were a true expert I would be rich & have a deer the first day every year. everyone hunts different every hunting area is different. you hunt with what you know & try not to make mistakes you have made in the past

#30 ·
I understand the money issue but why discount the obvious benifit the product can give you. I spend a lot of time and money to hunt why not take the extra step to control the one thing that gets us busted the most. I don't go all out for scent loc but I have a pair of coveralls that I have a lot of confidence in. If you do all you can to control scent other ways and play the wind and then reduce the rest of your scent by 96% it seems a no brainer for me.

To each their own I guess a lot of hunters believe in cover scents and attractants which I would never buy.

#31 ·
Buckshot what you refer to as the obvious benefit is what has many buyers at odds, it seems many of the buyers thought they were buying scent control clothing
when in fact the only Obvious benefit noticed by many of those same buyers was the Camouflage clothing which can be purchased under different brand names at much lower prices.
now I think we would all agree that Camo clothing is beneficial and scent control is always a concern and I personally dont have any scent loc garments but after reading the reviews and allegations
from scent loc buyers it seems to me like scent loc turned out to be nothing more than an over priced camo clothing line but if a person can afford the extra money it takes to buy scent loc gear
I hope for their sake it is more than just another camo clothing line because after spending the additional money the buyer should be getting what's being advertised by the manufacturer.

#32 ·
If a hunter is busted and the hunter knows what just happen, think about the deer that circle downwind and you never knew you were busted. The only thing a hunter can do is their best at scent control and be smart at all aspects of hunting. Like everything else in life buy what what you like and be happy with it. Remember all the bad press on the doe-in-heat products from deer farms, there weren't enough deer to produce the gallons of pee so where did it come from, false advertising maybe??? anyway Scent loc won their counter suit so their happy and their customers should be happy too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.