Pre-kill Tracking Virginia??? - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 10-19-2007, 05:30 PM
Scrub Buck

Default Pre-kill Tracking Virginia???

First off I have never killed a deer, I have been hunting a couple times but always seem to find myself with a more experienced hunter quietly moving around and being directed to stand in a certain are while they run dogs through the woods. I never really got the chance to stop and take notice of all the things I wanted to so this year Iím just going to try and do my own thing.
I have a six acre lot in the country near Lynchburg, to me disadvantage I have over six hundred feet of road frontage. Its all open field with a nice small patch of trees, rectangular shaped and the patch is just off center of the field.
I scattered out a few handfuls of corn and put a buck block I got from a hunting store right in front of my game camera, I left it for three nights. Upon my return I discovered several piles of droppings, with no rain in over a month I was unable to pick up any tracks as an indication of what direction they came from or went to.

After I checked the game cam when I got home I found it taken over 60 photos the first occurred only 30 or 40 minutes after I left it there right at dark. I was very happy to find a nice eight point buck looking right in to the cam and posed for about 40 photos I also saw a couple does and a fawn that stayed off in the background. I went through the photos night by night to see if I could get a idea of what direction they came from.
The first and third night they where there between 7:30 and 8:30 and the second night they showed up after 12, Iím assuming this route they use frequently.
If it rains I plan to follow the tracks into the woods and I see droppings and rubs can I assume that some where near by would be a good location for a tree stand?
There are lots of woods and fields all around this are and I plan to spook hunt a couple small areas just aside my property.

Question- If I find evidence after it rains of a specific trail they are taking through my property an I set up a tree stand near there is it possible to some how call this buck to the location with a grunt or the old antlers? Or should I just stick with flanking him in the woods on his normal route? I also must take a doe before I can take the buck if I kill a doe on there normal trail is he likely to take the same trail again?
Better yet, what would you do?

Any help on getting my fist buck will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2007, 06:10 PM
Banned

It doesn't sound like you have a funnel available to hunt, but if you do, that would be a good stand location early season along with field edges and Oaks that are or have dropped lots of acorns.

I would take the doe. As long as he is not with her, he should never know. I would just field dress the doe away from your hunting area as it could attract coyotes.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:08 AM

what whitetail said is good advice, i will just try to add to it somewhat. first off you have plenty of deer sign so thats great. i would be careful about checking your camera to often or over scouting your area. everytime you go in there your spreading your human scent around. just be careful about over crowding it. as of right now you know the land you have is in the deers pattern. we just want to keep it that way. you said you had 6 acres that was mostly field right? with a little patch of woods in the middle. do you have a tree line next to the road? if you do and your hunting with a gun or some other longer range weapon i might set up there on the first hunt and just see what you can see. you can learn a lot by just watching before jumping in the thick of it sometimes. if you have a bow and you need to get close, hunt the area you are seeing the droppings. it might not put you on that specific 8 pt buck but you should see some deer at least.

and yes it is possible to call a buck in with a grunt or rattilin. just dont "over call" space them out. and if you happen to see the buck i would not do anything if he is moving to you. only grunt when all hope is lost and your trying to turn him around to you or he is walking through and your already ready for the shot and you just want him to stop for split second so you can pull the trigger.

thanks for joining up hope you enjoy the site
Old 10-20-2007, 01:52 AM
B&C 100 Class

If you don't get any rain try to find the bucks rubline.He will have his route of travel marked with rubs on the side of trees.Early in the year they use this to rub the velvet off their horns and will continue to use them as long as they have their horns.A fresh rub will have traces of bark hanging from the tree and will be fresh white wood compared to an unused one that will look darker with no fresh bark hanging.
Hope this helps.