Setting up a new area (Update) - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:57 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default Setting up a new area (Update)

Ok I started hunting a new area last season... A couple hundred acres of unfarmed CRP Grass fields in Kansas. A ton of deer activity obvious signs everywhere. You can hardly step with out being on a trail, However no kill. I had set up a couple ladder type stands and saw several deer After they saw me... The chest high grass gave them the advantage. I dropped a few hundred pounds of feed even though every field around the property is planted with wheat, hoping to slow down the deer on the property, not thinking i would draw any others in with food. So this year I am trying a new approach I have built my First Box Blind trying to not get busted. I am Wandering if i should cut shooting lanes through the CRP Grass or if that will disturb the deer on the property. I was thinking about 30 yds wide and 200 yds long in front of the stand and about half that on each side window. ok enough rambling I will post pics of the Blind I built.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2011, 11:59 PM
B&C 100 Class

The Blind is 6' X 8' and will be on a deck that is 6' off the ground.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:43 PM
B&C 140 Class

Sounds like an awful nice area you've got there. I like your idea of "shooting Lanes", but in my opinion 30 yards wide is a bit too much of an opening. I'd look at around 30' (10 yards, perhaps). On a somewhat smaller scale we did a similar thing on some property here in Tn and found it gave us two advantages. First was the openings for easier sighting/shooting and second was the fact that by cutting the high grasses out, new green growth came up and the deer loved it.