Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   The Lodge (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/lodge/)
-   -   pine sol and water? (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/lodge/790-pine-sol-water.html)

buckfever 10-15-2007 07:08 PM

pine sol and water?

just wondering if any of yall hunters have ever heard of this.

when i was a young hunter just getting into it my uncle helped me alot. his version of scent control was a little bit of pinesol in the bottom of a spray bottle. and then fill the rest up with water. claimed it made him smell like a pine tree. just wondering if yall had any older hunters that tried this or similar tactics?

while i will never go back to this tactic because my results with wildlife research products have been well im just curious as to what yall think.

wisconsinshotty 10-15-2007 07:12 PM

well the only way we would know if it worked: how was his success rate?

buckfever 10-15-2007 07:33 PM

it was well, but i dont know if his big deer came from using that scent control. he was using it when he is in woods with some pine trees around where he is hunting. he has got 2 very nice deer on his wall that came off the mountains where the trees are mainly hardwoods. he probably was doing nothing about his scent back then. in the past couple years when he has drove up and hunted with me he has used a scent spray like i use in the woods. i do know he has shot deer with his bow while using this tactic down in Georgia

wisconsinshotty 10-15-2007 07:41 PM

i would maybe suggeest a mixtture
of odor terminator and that stuff

critter gitter 10-16-2007 07:51 PM

I used to hunt with this one guy that told me When hunting out of a pine tree to break a little peice, of one of the small limbs as a natural odor to help mask your own. But we still used scent away, too.

Whitetail_ENT 11-01-2007 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckfever (Post 4132)
just wondering if any of yall hunters have ever heard of this.

when i was a young hunter just getting into it my uncle helped me alot. his version of scent control was a little bit of pinesol in the bottom of a spray bottle. and then fill the rest up with water. claimed it made him smell like a pine tree. just wondering if yall had any older hunters that tried this or similar tactics?

while i will never go back to this tactic because my results with wildlife research products have been well im just curious as to what yall think.

And you all think smoking up is crazy! WOW!:surprised:

drater 11-01-2007 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitetail_ENT (Post 4931)
And you all think smoking up is crazy! WOW!:surprised:

I agree. Chemicals ain't "natural".

I smoke up and have been so thankful I found something that actually works. Years and tons of money shot out of a spray bottle.....weird.

BruceBruce1959 11-02-2007 05:51 AM

PINE scent is a 100 % natural scent in the woods. The Pine Sol mixture has proven itself over many many many years, as my Dad and Uncles used to swear by it's affectiveness (back in the 40's and 50's they didn't have fancy hunting supplies) LOL

but SMOKE is NOT a natural presence in the woods, It makes me wonder why anyone would try such a rediculous element for hunting purposes. If I had to choose which to use between the Pine Sol or the Smoke, PINE easily wins that decision.

burgerking 11-02-2007 08:03 AM

i agree with bruce.. pine is natural for sure.

Whitetail_ENT 11-02-2007 11:49 AM

BK,

In an earlier thread you stated that deer can smell up to 6 different scents at one time. Just wondering how many scents a deer can smell in Pine Sol. I know I can smell the ammonia in it. So while Pine is a natural scent, how can Pine Sol be? Afterall, it is a chemical that certainly deer are not accustomed to.

Please explain your logic, I'm very interested in this....