Deer Hunting Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

pine sol and water?

28K views 39 replies 13 participants last post by  buckfever 
#1 ·
just wondering if any of yall hunters have ever heard of this.

when i was a young hunter just getting into it my uncle helped me alot. his version of scent control was a little bit of pinesol in the bottom of a spray bottle. and then fill the rest up with water. claimed it made him smell like a pine tree. just wondering if yall had any older hunters that tried this or similar tactics?

while i will never go back to this tactic because my results with wildlife research products have been well im just curious as to what yall think.

#3 ·
it was well, but i dont know if his big deer came from using that scent control. he was using it when he is in woods with some pine trees around where he is hunting. he has got 2 very nice deer on his wall that came off the mountains where the trees are mainly hardwoods. he probably was doing nothing about his scent back then. in the past couple years when he has drove up and hunted with me he has used a scent spray like i use in the woods. i do know he has shot deer with his bow while using this tactic down in Georgia

#6 ·
just wondering if any of yall hunters have ever heard of this.

when i was a young hunter just getting into it my uncle helped me alot. his version of scent control was a little bit of pinesol in the bottom of a spray bottle. and then fill the rest up with water. claimed it made him smell like a pine tree. just wondering if yall had any older hunters that tried this or similar tactics?

while i will never go back to this tactic because my results with wildlife research products have been well im just curious as to what yall think.
And you all think smoking up is crazy! WOW!:surprised:

#8 ·
PINE scent is a 100 % natural scent in the woods. The Pine Sol mixture has proven itself over many many many years, as my Dad and Uncles used to swear by it's affectiveness (back in the 40's and 50's they didn't have fancy hunting supplies) LOL

but SMOKE is NOT a natural presence in the woods, It makes me wonder why anyone would try such a rediculous element for hunting purposes. If I had to choose which to use between the Pine Sol or the Smoke, PINE easily wins that decision.

#11 · (Edited)
PINE scent is a 100 % natural scent in the woods. The Pine Sol mixture has proven itself over many many many years, as my Dad and Uncles used to swear by it's affectiveness (back in the 40's and 50's they didn't have fancy hunting supplies) LOL

but SMOKE is NOT a natural presence in the woods, It makes me wonder why anyone would try such a rediculous element for hunting purposes. If I had to choose which to use between the Pine Sol or the Smoke, PINE easily wins that decision.

What if your hunting in a hard wood forrest only and there aren't any pine trees around, is pine still a natural scent to the deer? Just curious...

#10 ·
BK,

In an earlier thread you stated that deer can smell up to 6 different scents at one time. Just wondering how many scents a deer can smell in Pine Sol. I know I can smell the ammonia in it. So while Pine is a natural scent, how can Pine Sol be? Afterall, it is a chemical that certainly deer are not accustomed to.

Please explain your logic, I'm very interested in this....

#14 ·
All i said was that pine is natural. As did bruce, which is what i was agreeing to. And if they can smell up to six different scents at a time then im guessing they can smell 6 different scents in pine sol..make sense? And ive never tried it but i can see how it would work having real pine oil in it, and it being diluted by water some. Like you said when you were defending the product you were trying to sell, you should try this technique and post the results before knocking it. At least this product has some natural scent to it. This is a chat forum not a debate log.

#18 ·
All i said was that pine is natural. As did bruce, which is what i was agreeing to. And if they can smell up to six different scents at a time then im guessing they can smell 6 different scents in pine sol..make sense? And ive never tried it but i can see how it would work having real pine oil in it, and it being diluted by water some. Like you said when you were defending the product you were trying to sell, you should try this technique and post the results before knocking it. At least this product has some natural scent to it. This is a chat forum not a debate log.
I thought that's what we were doing.....chatting.....about pine and smoke. Pine is definitely a natural smell.....in it's purest form. Anything that needs to be "created" to get a certain smell wouldn't, to me, be considered a "natural smell". That's what so great about smoking up. You get complete coverage and the pure smell of smoke that masks your scent.

How great is THAT??? :yes:

#15 ·
and drater, where i hunt there is actually a burning ban, and i dont think a lightning strike is that common. But i have agreed to give this technique a try as stated in previous forums, even though i dont see the reason in it.

#17 ·
and you are right whitetail, i think pine trees would have to be in the envirnment you are using it in. Good job!
Thanks for the positive reinforcement.

I was really wanting to know Bruce's logic on why PineSol should work. And wanted to know how many scents you thought the deer could smell in PineSol. I wasn't trying to prove any point, just, as I stated, curious.

I've been thinking about the question I posed "If your only hunting hardwood forests and there are no pine trees around...." I think I came up with the answer. Deer can travel for miles. They are nomadic to a certain extent, whether it be during the rut looking for a mate, or after they leave their home territory.(This is fact and has been proven with tagged deer and GPS) Therefore, they have almost certainly come into contact with pine trees. Also, deer are reactionary, meaning that certain things are ingrained in their brains or instinctual, such as fear and flight mechanisms. This is passed on through the evolutionary process, so even if they haven't encountered a pine tree, they know the smell of pine is not harmful, conversely, they would know that, even if they have never encountered one before, a wolf poses danger to them.

Now, PineSol, understanding that Deer can smell several scents at one time(thanks BK), they would smell Pine oil(still probably not natural as I'm sure it is too concentrated even mixed with water), Surfactants, and Alcohol and probably even plastic(because their noses are just that good!), would still probably find this unnatural and have a flight reaction.

I know what I've just stated is very thoughtful and intellectually demanding, but read it a few times and ponder my statements, hopefully it will make sense to you.

#20 ·
whitetail i actually found almost the same exact statement off of wikipedia, so it only took me one time to understand it.

And i think its funny that you get all offended when someone doesnt agree with your product and get all defensive, but when someone else shares an idea that they didnt even propose you guys jump on the chance to degrade it. Doesnt sound to understanding. but whatever, ive heard both techniques and thats all i need to hear to know what to try and see the result. And dont worry i am going to post the results of the smoke technique to tell everybody what i think from a non believers stand point, that way if it works you can rub it mine, and everyone elses face bc im sure you would.

#22 ·
whitetail i actually found almost the same exact statement off of wikipedia, so it only took me one time to understand it.

And i think its funny that you get all offended when someone doesnt agree with your product and get all defensive, but when someone else shares an idea that they didnt even propose you guys jump on the chance to degrade it. Doesnt sound to understanding. but whatever, ive heard both techniques and thats all i need to hear to know what to try and see the result. And dont worry i am going to post the results of the smoke technique to tell everybody what i think from a non believers stand point, that way if it works you can rub it mine, and everyone elses face bc im sure you would.
When are you going to try smoking up??

There isn't a single person I know who has said ANYTHING negative after using it. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the results. Looking forward to your review.

Peace

#25 ·
Had a friend that swore by pinesol but, he washed his stuff in it and aired it out. I still store my stuff in several plastic bags with last years christmas tree needles in pillowcases... Don't know if the deer react to it or not but it smells nice. I use a scent dispenser from freewebs.com/olduncle... Ive taken lots of good bucks with it and it dosen't seem to matter what I smell like.... got all sweated up hurrying up a mountain and was actually steaming when I unzipped my suit.... and had to put down the candy bar I was eating to shoot a buck.

#26 ·
Had a friend that swore by pinesol but, he washed his stuff in it and aired it out. I still store my stuff in several plastic bags with last years christmas tree needles in pillowcases... Don't know if the deer react to it or not but it smells nice. I use a scent dispenser from freewebs.com/olduncle... Ive taken lots of good bucks with it and it dosen't seem to matter what I smell like.... got all sweated up hurrying up a mountain and was actually steaming when I unzipped my suit.... and had to put down the candy bar I was eating to shoot a buck.
It was the candy bar that done it for you :biggrin:

#33 ·
i eat apples then throw away the cores within bow range shhh...the peels make a nice cover scent:wink:

#34 ·
Well I aint ever heard of usen pinsol to cover my scent up but I guess I can see how it would work. If it kills your bacterias so you dont stink then I guess the deers ain't gonna smell a human cause yall smell like a pine cone.

What is all this talk about smoking up? Why would you want to smoke a cigarette while your hunting?

#36 ·
Greetings from Vermont and Welcome to the site..

There was a guy here that was all gung ho about using smoke as a cover scent and I guess he didn't like hearing that other hunters didn't believe in it the same way he did.

BUT I agree with you why would you want to smoke a cigarette while hunting??? LOL :biggrin:

#37 ·
Good morning...and Hello.....this is my first post so I hope I don't get in trouble talking about this smoking up thing. I have read the thread and was wondering why so many people are against this method for covering scent?? This is not new. To be honest, it's been a best kept secret for many many years until the last couple of years. As much as I hate to say it, it works and has worked for me for the last 30 years. I can honestly say that I have never been busted because of smell. I have been busted as they looked up at me in my stand, but never due to my scent. I have watched hundreds of deer under my stand over these last 30 years. Scent sprays are a joke as they do not fully cover you and only last for so long. Not to mention price.....ugh.I'm not selling anything, just giving my honest opinion as an old timer. I would prefer you NOT use the smoke method so that you all can push the deer to me. HA!Thanks for reading and thanks for the nice website. Looks like a good one. I hope to contribute more in the future.Tizzy

#38 ·
Inatizzy welcome to the site. its not that we dont like other hunters sharing their thoughts and we realize some hunters have been doing this "smoking up" thing for awhile. This topic has just been over discussed by all of us here. whitetails_ent only looked for post where he could post something concerning his scent smoker. When he first joined he only spammed the website. Spamming is illegal and I should have banned him from the beggining. It finally got old and members got tired of hearing about it. This is a website for the hunter. Not a place to grind your product in the ground to try and make a sell.

Make yourself at home on the site. Please visit around the forums and reply to whatever interest you.

#39 · (Edited by Moderator)
Inatizzy welcome to the site. its not that we dont like other hunters sharing their thoughts and we realize some hunters have been doing this "smoking up" thing for awhile. This topic has just been over discussed by all of us here. whitetails_ent only looked for post where he could post something concerning his scent smoker. When he first joined he only spammed the website. Spamming is illegal and I should have banned him from the beggining. It finally got old and members got tired of hearing about it. This is a website for the hunter. Not a place to grind your product in the ground to try and make a sell.

Make yourself at home on the site. Please visit around the forums and reply to whatever interest you.
Ahhh....gotcha....spammers can definitely ruin a site....BUT....what if I want to talk about a pair of boots I love made by so and so?? Or a new grunt call?? Or a new bow?? These are all tools that we need to help us hunt. Some are better than others and it's always nice to hear about the product and the results....don't we?? I'm not condoning Whitetails antics here, I'm just wanting to understand the rules of engagement. I would hate to be banned from the site because I'm trying to help out other hunters. I've been hunting a long time and have seen more than some will see in their lifetime.....so if "pimping" a product is a bad thing, maybe this isn't the best place for me to be. I like helping out new hunters and educating the ones who think they know it all. We will never know it all. I'm still learning every time I go into the woods.....but I've seen a lot.....a lot of products that simply don't work.....and products that definitely do work. One thing I do know....smoking your clothes is, unfortunately for me...HA!, going to be the next big thing that will spread like wildfire over the next few years. The die-hards will steer clear of it only because they don't like change and will be "defiant". But more and more will switch over to it rather quickly. It's all over the net now and people are talking. I've seen one of these scent smokers and they look good. Smaller than the originals so that makes them more compact. I still use an old contraption I made years ago. Made the darn thing outta steel.....what the heck was I thinking??? Darn thing gets HOT! I guess I could buy one them smokers but I have an attachment to mine. It's killed me lots of deer.Anyhoo........never heard of this pine sol thing. Sounds funny....but so does smoking your clothes. I ain't switchin'!! Smoke is the way to go for me.Thanks for the welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.