pine sol and water? - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 12:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBruce1959 View Post
PINE scent is a 100 % natural scent in the woods. The Pine Sol mixture has proven itself over many many many years, as my Dad and Uncles used to swear by it's affectiveness (back in the 40's and 50's they didn't have fancy hunting supplies) LOL

but SMOKE is NOT a natural presence in the woods, It makes me wonder why anyone would try such a rediculous element for hunting purposes. If I had to choose which to use between the Pine Sol or the Smoke, PINE easily wins that decision.

What if your hunting in a hard wood forrest only and there aren't any pine trees around, is pine still a natural scent to the deer? Just curious...

Last edited by Whitetail_ENT; 11-02-2007 at 12:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2007, 02:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBruce1959 View Post
PINE scent is a 100 % natural scent in the woods. The Pine Sol mixture has proven itself over many many many years, as my Dad and Uncles used to swear by it's affectiveness (back in the 40's and 50's they didn't have fancy hunting supplies) LOL

but SMOKE is NOT a natural presence in the woods, It makes me wonder why anyone would try such a rediculous element for hunting purposes. If I had to choose which to use between the Pine Sol or the Smoke, PINE easily wins that decision.
That's just silly talk right there.

Smoke is as "natural" a smell to deer as acrorns, rabbit poo-poo, diesel fuel, septic tanks, a cut corn field, freshly cut grass, cigarette smoke, chewing tobacco spit (that some here have admitted to)........the list goes on.

Ya ever see a tree that has been struck by lightning??? I have. Have you ever seen one right after it's been hit by lightening?? I have. Ya know what it smelled like?? Smoke and burnt wood. Weird.

Where you hunt.......is it all famland, rural? Do farmers have burn piles? Do they have firepits?? Do they burn stumps in the woods or fields?? I can tell ya one thing......everybody on my side of the street have burn piles and firepits....not to mention fireplaces. SMOKE SMOKE SMOKE!!!! IT'S EVERYWHERE!!!!

I can't believe you can deny any of this. But you might.

You will be a hard nut to crack to try and get smoked up.

Can't hurt to try......can it?

Peace
Old 11-02-2007, 02:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitetail_ENT View Post
What if your hunting in a hard wood forrest only and there aren't any pine trees around, is pine still a natural scent to the deer? Just curious...
That's an interesting question, Whitetail.

Doesn't Pine Sol contain some kind of alcohol?? That's not "natural"...is it?? I can't believe that chemicals would be considered "natural".
Old 11-02-2007, 02:08 PM
B&C 100 Class

All i said was that pine is natural. As did bruce, which is what i was agreeing to. And if they can smell up to six different scents at a time then im guessing they can smell 6 different scents in pine sol..make sense? And ive never tried it but i can see how it would work having real pine oil in it, and it being diluted by water some. Like you said when you were defending the product you were trying to sell, you should try this technique and post the results before knocking it. At least this product has some natural scent to it. This is a chat forum not a debate log.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:11 PM
B&C 100 Class

and drater, where i hunt there is actually a burning ban, and i dont think a lightning strike is that common. But i have agreed to give this technique a try as stated in previous forums, even though i dont see the reason in it.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:12 PM
B&C 100 Class

and you are right whitetail, i think pine trees would have to be in the envirnment you are using it in. Good job!
Old 11-02-2007, 02:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerking View Post
and you are right whitetail, i think pine trees would have to be in the envirnment you are using it in. Good job!
Thanks for the positive reinforcement.

I was really wanting to know Bruce's logic on why PineSol should work. And wanted to know how many scents you thought the deer could smell in PineSol. I wasn't trying to prove any point, just, as I stated, curious.

I've been thinking about the question I posed "If your only hunting hardwood forests and there are no pine trees around...." I think I came up with the answer. Deer can travel for miles. They are nomadic to a certain extent, whether it be during the rut looking for a mate, or after they leave their home territory.(This is fact and has been proven with tagged deer and GPS) Therefore, they have almost certainly come into contact with pine trees. Also, deer are reactionary, meaning that certain things are ingrained in their brains or instinctual, such as fear and flight mechanisms. This is passed on through the evolutionary process, so even if they haven't encountered a pine tree, they know the smell of pine is not harmful, conversely, they would know that, even if they have never encountered one before, a wolf poses danger to them.

Now, PineSol, understanding that Deer can smell several scents at one time(thanks BK), they would smell Pine oil(still probably not natural as I'm sure it is too concentrated even mixed with water), Surfactants, and Alcohol and probably even plastic(because their noses are just that good!), would still probably find this unnatural and have a flight reaction.

I know what I've just stated is very thoughtful and intellectually demanding, but read it a few times and ponder my statements, hopefully it will make sense to you.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerking View Post
All i said was that pine is natural. As did bruce, which is what i was agreeing to. And if they can smell up to six different scents at a time then im guessing they can smell 6 different scents in pine sol..make sense? And ive never tried it but i can see how it would work having real pine oil in it, and it being diluted by water some. Like you said when you were defending the product you were trying to sell, you should try this technique and post the results before knocking it. At least this product has some natural scent to it. This is a chat forum not a debate log.
I thought that's what we were doing.....chatting.....about pine and smoke. Pine is definitely a natural smell.....in it's purest form. Anything that needs to be "created" to get a certain smell wouldn't, to me, be considered a "natural smell". That's what so great about smoking up. You get complete coverage and the pure smell of smoke that masks your scent.

How great is THAT???
Old 11-02-2007, 02:35 PM
Banned

One must debate(it's a sharing of ideas or a discussion of the pros and cons of an idea!) in order to improve their skill set. That's why I belong to forums...to understand what others are doing, to learn more, and to share ideas(kind of a common theme).
Old 11-02-2007, 02:47 PM
B&C 100 Class

whitetail i actually found almost the same exact statement off of wikipedia, so it only took me one time to understand it.

And i think its funny that you get all offended when someone doesnt agree with your product and get all defensive, but when someone else shares an idea that they didnt even propose you guys jump on the chance to degrade it. Doesnt sound to understanding. but whatever, ive heard both techniques and thats all i need to hear to know what to try and see the result. And dont worry i am going to post the results of the smoke technique to tell everybody what i think from a non believers stand point, that way if it works you can rub it mine, and everyone elses face bc im sure you would.