Hickory wood - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:20 PM

Default Hickory wood

Tonight a guy dropped off a lot of free firewood in my driveway. Three of the trunks are old growth hickory 30-36" dia 12-15' long. I was wondering if they might be worth something to a saw mill? Any idea what logs like this might be worth. I'm thinking 1-200.00???? If not I got some serious sawing for firewood ahead of me, neck is killing me just thinking about it. I would have no way to deliver these as they must weigh 1000 lb each. Might be able to get the saw mill to load them? Don't know anything about wood except to burn it in the fireplace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2011, 12:00 AM
B&C 140 Class

Hmm...wish I could help ya, but I have no idea.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:19 AM

Im clueless as well. Around here that is some ideal wood people use in their woodstove though.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:18 AM
B&C 180 Class

asked my father-in-law and he said you might as well cut 'em for firewood. He said there is a business in southern MO that buys hickory for hammer handles and what-not but thinks they'd only give about .20- .45 a foot. Just his opinion.. hope it helps. Now walnuts are a different story... talk about your money maker. Here in MO we collect the nuts every year and plant them in early spring. There's a mixture of pepper and other ingredients we use to keep squirrels from digging them up.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:29 AM

I would agree Tator I think there is a reason why it was free not woth the effort at that price & I think if the lumber yard were to come get it they would probably give you even less
I tryed to get rid of some Hemlock which used to go for some good money & the local lumber yard said they would take it if I wanted to get rid of it but were not paying anything for it. Lumber yards are not doing so well around here right now

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright
Old 06-28-2011, 01:12 PM
B&C 140 Class

Thumbs up

I'd sure give one or two sawmills a call. Hickory has become very popular for hardwood floors and the type you have would surely fit the bill for that it would seem. We put natural (no stain) hickory in most of our downstairs and in our upstairs as well. Great looking floors!
Old 06-28-2011, 04:26 PM
B&C 180 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by turner View Post
I'd sure give one or two sawmills a call. Hickory has become very popular for hardwood floors and the type you have would surely fit the bill for that it would seem. We put natural (no stain) hickory in most of our downstairs and in our upstairs as well. Great looking floors!

Yes, but he may have to haul it several miles to be able to get anything out of it. Trust me, those guys who do the logging business know what they're doing and many of them will cheat you out of what it's really worth. If you don't do your research before they come log on you, you're going to get taken advantage of. They give you a sad story about how times are tough and how the saw mills what wood that is in perfect shape and they end up giving you about 1/6 of what it's really worth. Not all loggers are like that, but many of them are b/c they can be, since not alot of people know about the price of logs.