AR rifle purchase. - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 05-02-2011, 05:02 PM

Default AR rifle purchase.

Getting really close now as the Civil War carbine hit my minimum bid on auction arms and hopefully goes up from there. I'll be asking a lot of questions here as to what to get in a couple of weeks. The carbine was neat but I have other wishes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2011, 05:32 PM
B&C 160 Class

Good luck Hm
Old 05-03-2011, 03:14 PM

Spiker, from what I'm learning is there is a split between AR owners regarding piston vs non-piston rifles and each side has strong reasons why you do/don't need the new piston driven actions. I am still unsure if I want the 223, 5.56wilde chamber that I believe shoots both 223 and 5.56. I'm also liking the RRA models and maybe Stag as a second option. Input needed and appreciated. What about getting a stripped down platform and adding as I go vs a more fully rigged factory model, costs issues??? I do want a flat top possibly with flip sights to start out with then add goodies as $'s allow.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:42 PM
B&C 160 Class

Hm i do favor RRA ive never seen one that doesnt shoot lights out.I have 3 RRa one a national match,1 varmint model and a lar8 308.All are sub 1 inch rifles.I also think they come with the best stock trigger on the market.As far as accessories and a build thats a matter of preference.I think if you talk to Pete his price with what you want would be just as cheap as adding as you go.I personally dont see a need for a piston ar but if i bought one it would be the sig.The sig 550 is a proven piston design that has been tested.Im not sold on the need or new designs of the piston systems.I can attest to the quality of RRA fit and finish and accuracy.The only downside is you might have a little wait to get one.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:11 PM
B&C 140 Class

I dont really think a piston upper is really necessary. You can get a complete A3 piston upper from Adams Arms for $599 which is about $100 more than a good direct impingement upper. You will want to go with an A3 flat top upper because of the options that comes with it. You can either scope it, put a red dot on there or just put irons on it. My AR has an A1 upper with a fixed carry handle, so I'm pretty much limited to irons.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:58 PM
B&C 140 Class

I love my Stag. Looked at a couple others before purchasing mine. But, for the price and the life time warranty, i went with the Stag. There are so many add-ons, that really all you need is just the bare bones flat-top and over time change what you don't like to what you do like. ie: grip, trigger assy, stock. I shoot left handed but bought the right handed rifle, doesn't bother me, but do want the amb. safety. that is gonna be my last upgrade for awhile.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:17 PM

I appreciate all the help guys. So far my thoughts are flat top with folding sights, 1/2 quad/soft foward grip don't know proper term, and then just add as I go. Again thanks for the help.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:35 PM
B&C 140 Class

just remember your ABCs. A-armalite, B-bushmaster, C-colt,and in that order