Deer Hunting Forums banner

Chat Room

18K views 31 replies 19 participants last post by  BruceBruce1959 
#1 ·
some thing to top this site off is a chat room i have seen other forum pages that have chat rooms i dont kno if its possible or not but its just a idea

#6 ·
Chat rooms detract from the forum as the conversations that would take place in threads are being addressed in the chat room. also chat rooms require constant moderation as things can and usually do get out of hand. especially when open to guests. There also needs to be constraints and a well organized set of rules and guidelines in place.

In most of the chat rooms I have been involved, many of us ended up exchanging phone #s and conversing vocally. much more enjoyable than the endless typing that took 10x longer to say what you wanted.

#7 ·
Chat rooms are not safe environments and like airbourne stated need constant monitoring.
I don't believe activating a chat room would add very many positive benefits to the DHC site, if any at all.

#9 ·
on the other hand, when standard forum technology evolves to the point I am about to describe, the following might be an interesting and beneficial twist.

real time audio/video conferencing.

#10 ·
on this note we have our new forums in the works.. I had considered adding a chat box but have still yet to see an active chat room on any of the forums ive seen.. the most use i see them get are from those foreign cats trying to sell their shirts and pants..

What we are trying to add is a little more information down the right side of the forums.. examples would be moon phase, maybe setting it up to where you can see the weather in your local area, team dhc articles, top posters, sample pics from members that upload pics to their personal galleries, etc..

#15 ·
on this note we have our new forums in the works.. I had considered adding a chat box but have still yet to see an active chat room on any of the forums ive seen.. the most use i see them get are from those foreign cats trying to sell their shirts and pants..

What we are trying to add is a little more information down the right side of the forums.. examples would be moon phase, maybe setting it up to where you can see the weather in your local area, team dhc articles, top posters, sample pics from members that upload pics to their personal galleries, etc..
I frequent a local site that has weather and moon phase.Nice to be able to look at the weather for the next days hunt without going to another site. As far as a chat room go to facebook if that is what you are looking for. This website is a great resource, one which I personally have directed young hunters to, adding a chat feature would only attract trolls...

#16 ·
I agree, don't start a chat room. COMON', we're guys, do we really want to hollar to our wives "hang on honey, i'm chatting in the chat room with my friend Mike".....

Plus young eyes are on here as well. I hear MARTHA STEWART has a good chat room on her web site.... :) <---joke

#17 ·
:shocking: WOW,,, I must visit her chat room and lay down some of my best charm, that lady is LOADED.. she can buy a lot of Gun collections! :whistling: LOL

G
#19 ·
Chat Rooms

I am always looking for a chat room for hunters. Most sites don't support them becasue they claim chat rooms are not used very enough. Well - I say used alot or not. It would be nice at times to have a hunter to talk to. Kinda like always haveing a Christian to talk to!

#20 ·
chat rooms eventually cheat the forum of material and occupancy. In my experience with chat rooms they end up taking away from the forum that created them. plus you really need to have full time mods or there could be problems. as a matter of fact, there where even issues with all those in place.
And there is nothing stopping someone from setting up an IRC chat room and posting a link.

#21 ·
I am active in another forum that has had as many as 786 people on at once. I see about 4 or 5 people listed as being in the chat room at any given time.

If you are concerned about kids getting in, that would mean someone would have to monitor 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for limited use.

I have to edit my posts about 4 times just to get them to make sense, I cannot fathom being in a chat room. However, I just celebrated the 41st anniversary of my 10th birthday so maybe I am just a crusty curmudgeon.

#23 ·
However, I just celebrated the 41st anniversary of my 10th birthday so maybe I am just a crusty curmudgeon.
I hit the double-nickel later this year, so I think I have a year or two on you. I work on computers and network equipment for a living and thank my mom every day for making me take a Typing 1 class my senior year in high school. I was the only senior, two juniors, the rest were sophomores - and yes, I was on an old manual typewriter to learn.

But getting back to the topic of a Chat Room, I agree that it would need to be monitored 24/7, something that BF and the other moderators don't have the time or $$ to support.

RR

#22 ·
I'm with you Craw, my typing and electronics skills are stuck somewhere in the '60's or '70's. With chat rooms come trouble, besides you can say or talk about plenty on our regular forums. Heck, awhile back we had two guys wanting to duke it out over ft. lbs. of recoil in several older and slower rifle rounds. And you can always email a guy(or gal) if you want to discuss something or get some particular info from that person. And when we sign in here, everyone can see who's online and who isn't.

#25 ·
Just an observation from a newbie, I haven't seen enough activity on the forums to even remotely justify a chatroom. Witht he forums now available, I can't imagine what you would post in a chatroom that couldn't posted on one of the forums already in existence. Just my observation.

G
#30 ·
New To Bow Hunting in Rhode Island

Looking for someone, anyone, to chat with about tips and strategy. Looking to take my first deer before the end of the season on January 31, 2015. If you would like to chat please E mail me at jrichard6817@gmail.com. I would appreciate any tips and help anyone can give me. thank you so much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.