Ar-15 - Page 3 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:06 PM
ronn

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisconsinDeer View Post
I don't believe my DPMS is high pressure tested, MPI or shot peened. It does have M4 feed ramps though.
what about the bushmaster?

i guess the point of all the questions is 2 fold. one i don't have a clue about this test or that test, and two is the way spiker does testing or manufacturing better than any other company and why?

i back bushmaster because they are the leaders, dealt with all the ins and out, and have been the leader in the ar platform for years. thats not saying they are still at the top but for a guy like me that isn't versed in ar speak, i tend to trust the long standing innovators.

so i guess i need to specifically know why this man is better than that one

Last edited by ronn; 03-27-2011 at 07:14 PM.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2011, 07:19 PM
B&C 160 Class

You have to make no apologies for bushmaster they are fine rifles.Milspec is the most abused term for ar's.True milspec figures are owned by colt and not known to anybody in the public.Years ago you wanted milspec parts because aftermarket parts were garbage.Today ar's manufactures all use relaible parts.There are alot of law enforcement people who rely on RRA,Bushmaster,Armalite,Stag,S&W etc.These guns face torture tests before winning any contracts and must perform.An example of how confusing this can get most milspec ar's come with chrome lined barrels which i dont want because there not as accurrate.Certain commercial companies quality has exceeced milspec quality in advancements.Its really hard to buy a bad Ar these days.Wisconsins suggestion of the spikes tactical is a good one.Its alot of gun for the money and a lifetime warranty.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:20 PM
ronn

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisconsinDeer View Post
I don't believe my DPMS is high pressure tested, MPI or shot peened. It does have M4 feed ramps though.
got to say my dpms is the 308lr and is the one on the far left in the pic my bushmaster is the next one

sorry figured out the flash makes for a better pic after i put these away.

this looks just like my and is a dpms 308lr

Last edited by Unregistered; 04-08-2011 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:29 PM
ronn

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiker View Post
You have to make no apologies for bushmaster they are fine rifles.Milspec is the most abused term for ar's.True milspec figures are owned by colt and not known to anybody in the public.Years ago you wanted milspec parts because aftermarket parts were garbage.Today ar's manufactures all use relaible parts.There are alot of law enforcement people who rely on RRA,Bushmaster,Armalite,Stag,S&W etc.These guns face torture tests before winning any contracts and must perform.An example of how confusing this can get most milspec ar's come with chrome lined barrels which i dont want because there not as accurrate.Certain commercial companies quality has exceeced milspec quality in advancements.Its really hard to buy a bad Ar these days.Wisconsins suggestion of the spikes tactical is a good one.Its alot of gun for the money and a lifetime warranty.
thats what i was thinking. the guns have gotten REAL good over the last few years by all makers. i just don't know the differences or why one is better than another so i rely on history
Old 03-28-2011, 02:06 AM
B&C 160 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post

i back bushmaster because they are the leaders, dealt with all the ins and out, and have been the leader in the ar platform for years. thats not saying they are still at the top but for a guy like me that isn't versed in ar speak, i tend to trust the long standing innovators.
Ronn this is exactly my lodic on why i am hesitant to go for the stag over the bushmaster even though my friend says the stag is a better gun.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:36 PM
B&C 140 Class

I have reloaded the .223/5.56mm for many years. primary arms being fed were the Colt AR15 and the Remington model 700 varmint special. I never gave any regard to interchanging cases designated .223 or 5.56mm at any time in either firearm. in fact all loading data at the time made no significant mention to variations in case dimensions.

I did however follow the advise of a friend who was an armorer in the army. keep the velocity in the AR15 to 1800fps max. in keeping with that criteria, I am sure the pressures mentioned were never even close to being achieved.

one significant difference in the two cases worth mentioning and hold true with the .308/7.62mm NATO as well is the fact that the primers in the military surplus ammo is crimped into the pockets and before reloading is attempted, the primer pockets must be swagged. RCBS makes a primer pocket swagger for both calibers. this process must only be preformed one time for all subsequent reloadings.
PSE 2006 FIRESTORM LITE #70
PSE 2009 TREESTAND GX #70
PSE 2010 1/2 AXE 6 #60
PSE 2011 EVO #70

The Devils Advocate

Revelation 22:17

Old 04-07-2011, 04:59 AM

I got to shoot the New Ruger SR556 last weekend I KNOW yet another Ruger but this blacky felt so nice the battlesights were dead on @ 75 yards I just may have to pick one of these up

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright
Old 04-16-2011, 11:19 AM
B&C 160 Class

just wanted to update this. i bought a Stag Arms model 2 AR-15 today. ill have it in a week. dealer had to order it from satg cause he sold out at a gun show last week.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:10 PM

congats on the new purchase
Will be ordering the Ruger SR556 hopefully this summer along with a new pistol they will be coming out with shortly

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright
Old 04-16-2011, 05:08 PM
B&C 140 Class

congrats NH, I'm sure you'll love it.