Ar-15 - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:18 PM
B&C 160 Class

not even 100% on if im gona go with the 5.56mm or the 6.8 spc. just trying to sort out who builds the better set up. the 5.56 stag has a 1/9 twist. the on posted above has a 1/7. unless i misunderstod it as it was being explaned to me the 1/9 would be better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2011, 04:26 PM
B&C 160 Class

also in the link above they say they mag partical test all there parts. mag partical inspection would be my last choise of inspection types
Old 03-27-2011, 04:29 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt NH View Post
not even 100% on if im gonna go with the 5.56mm or the 6.8 spc. just trying to sort out who builds the better set up. the 5.56 stag has a 1/9 twist. the on posted above has a 1/7. unless i misunderstood it as it was being explained to me the 1/9 would be better.
The 1/9 is only better if you shoot 55-62 grain bullets, or lighter. The 1/7 is what our military uses and it stabilizes the M855 rounds a whole lot better, which is a pretty long bullet. My Ar is a 1/9 but having a 1/7 wouldn't be a deal breaker. Just depends on what you're going to use it for and what bullet weights you will be shooting through it.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:42 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt NH View Post
also in the link above they say they mag partical test all there parts. mag partical inspection would be my last choise of inspection types
You want the barrel to be MPI and HPT tested along with the bolt being shot peened, high pressure tested and magnetic particle inspected.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:15 PM
ronn

wis deer, simplify why this rifle, for me? i'm not really a black gun guy. sounds like you've done some homework.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:39 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
wis deer, simplify why this rifle, for me? i'm not really a black gun guy. sounds like you've done some homework.
Well I'm not going to pretend like I'm an expert. Spikes Tactical makes some really quality rifles/parts. Everything is mil-spec. The particular rifle I posted the link for has the midlength gas system which is more desirable than the more common carbine gas system. The midlength system is easier on the internals, your shoulder, "generally" more reliable for a 16" barrel, and its smoother shooting. It also has M4 feed ramps, comes with a Magpul Pmag, barrel and bolt are magnetic particle inspected and high pressure tested. The bolt is also shot peened for strength. For most people a Bushmaster, RRA or a DPMS will work just fine.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:40 PM
B&C 160 Class

sorry. forgot to answer the question. no i have no intentions to hunt with this gun. it will be strictly for 2 legged varmit. still not nuts about mag partical testing. there is no paper trail, alot of room for error, and nothing to keep the reader honast about his results. as soon as the mag particals are off the mettal there is no way to varrify what was or was not there. diepenatrent, ultra sound, and xray are the best ways. then there is a paper trail.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:45 PM
ronn

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisconsinDeer View Post
Well I'm not going to pretend like I'm an expert. Spikes Tactical makes some really quality rifles/parts. Everything is mil-spec. The particular rifle I posted the link for has the midlength gas system which is more desirable than the more common carbine gas system. The midlength system is easier on the internals, your shoulder, "generally" more reliable for a 16" barrel, and its smoother shooting. It also has M4 feed ramps, comes with a Magpul Pmag, barrel and bolt are magnetic particle inspected and high pressure tested. The bolt is also shot peened for strength. For most people a Bushmaster, RRA or a DPMS will work just fine.
are these things that are not done by other companies?
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:49 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
are these things that are not done by other companies?
I don't believe my DPMS is high pressure tested, MPI or shot peened. It does have M4 feed ramps though.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:56 PM
B&C 160 Class

Milspec is way overated when it comes to ar 's.It means some parts are individually tested as oppossed to batch tested.Milspec recievers are cut to certain specs totally meaningless.A non milspec rra or bushmaster will do anything a milspec ar will.save money and buy quality magazines such as the magpul much more important.