Deer Hunting Forums banner

Can't believe this

6K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  MZS 
#1 ·
I was standing at the kitchen sink this morning, looking out the window into the pasture behind the house. I noticed two stray dogs running the fence line (not unusual). I see that one has ahold of something and the other is trying to get it. Well it turns out that the something they had, is the euro mount skull and rack from my Nov. 2010 bow kill. I had it tied into the woven wire fence. There are three other racks and skulls down there drying out also (ones that were found when people don't follow up on their shots !!) But anyways, there I stand in a pair of sweats and slippers watching last year's trophy being carried away. I opened the door and took of through about 6 inches of snow trying to catch them but they took it and ran. I spent the afternoon trying to track them down with no luck. So as it stands now, the pics are the only physical proof of a successful bow season in 2010.........lesson learned

#4 ·
that sucks !!!! i had kinda the same situation but mine was a turkey beard. i tack my fans out in the garage in a board untill they are dry n ready for a plaqe mount well i didnt do anything with the beard but lay it with the fan next day i go to the garage only to find my beard is GONE, mouse must have sole it and i never even found one hair n i tore my garage apart looking for that beard.

#8 ·
One warning is enough, in my book. Next time, it may take either buck/birdshot for the dogs to get the hint. If that doesn't do it, then you might have to do what I did with my neighbor's dog (1/2 wolf//1/2 Siberian husky). Single 170 grain Winchester Silvertip .30/30 round. Oh wait, "some labs". Guess that means it will take two rounds. :w00t:

#9 ·
I look at my two labs and think if they got loose and somebody shot them I'd be hunting the shooter down and loading him with comparable buck shot. I'm not against calling the dog warden on strays or shooting a rabid or agressive dog, but just make sure what you're doing is legal, ethical, and won't land you in the hooskow. I may be the lone wolf here, no pun intended, but I love dogs and shooting them turns my stomach. There are many 2 legged critters that I would shoot way before I'd shoot a dog.

#11 ·
HM, I totally understand your love for dogs, just because someone suggests shooting problematic dogs doesn't mean they dont have the same love for dogs that you have.
I don't think anyone takes pride or joy in killing animals that would be considered "pets" but sometimes dogs turn and go down the wrong paths (for whatever reasons)
sometimes it just happens and we may never know why it happened.
Stray dogs probably aren't getting regular daily meal requirements so at some point they're going to do anything to eat, we've all heard stories about dogs,
wild or stray dogs or sometimes even pet dogs attacking.
So I guess the best thing to do in every case would be to call a game warden and let them deal with it unless the situation has someones life in immediate danger.

#10 ·
BTW - neighbor's dog was in a killing spree, killing my chickens. It would find one, kill it, then go after the next one. When I went to bed the night before, I had 2 dozen laying hens and a couple roosters. By the time the dog was through, I only had the roosters remaining. They were smart enough to fly up into a tree. I was finding chicken carcases for another three or four days.
The dog was killing because it was in its blood, not because it was hungry. County animal control said I had done the county a favor, since they had been trying to catch the dog in the act for over two years. Seems as if it would get out on a regular basis and kill goats, calves, pets, chickens, then run home and get let back into the back yard fence. Just providing a little "justification" for doing what I did.

There's another dog that wanders the area of the county where I live. It's a Great Pyrenees. But you can tell by looking at it that it's not aggressive. When it wandered into our yard, my son suggested using the shotgun. I chased it out using a broom.

Like you, HM, I do love dogs. (Daughter's chihuahua isn't considered a dog in my book. It's a snack!) But if my dogs were out killing other people's chickens, then they deserve killing. Here in rural Texas, it's legal to shoot dogs that are harassing/killing livestock. If they're not aggressive, then it's a judgement call on the land owner. If taken to court, more than likely the land owner will win, unless the dog owner can prove otherwise.

Just thought I'd provide (as Paul Harvey used to say) the rest of the story.

#14 ·
There are two instances when I would shoot a dog to kill it,
1. If it were coming at my child, wife, myself, or anyone else in my family
2. If it were chasing cattle around and causing them to go through fence

There are two instances when I would shoot a dog to hurt it (a.k.a. BB gun)
1. When the stupid thing keeps coming in my garage and pulling EVERYTHING it can out into the yard OR tears open trash set out for trashman.
2. When it constantly pee's on the tires of the vehicles that have been recently washed (and recently washed could be from a rainstorm! ha)

True story... when I was about 13 y/o I went to my cousin's house (she was much older) for a Christmas dinner. I had just gotten a brand new pair of jeans that morning for Christmas. Well I wore them to my cousin's and I was down stairs with my cousin's 4 children playing ping pong in the basement. All of a sudden I looked under the table and this long haired black dog (which was HUGE) was growling at me under the table. I slowly backed away and he stepped towards me. I was threatened BIG TIME. He then took a snap at me which made the tator RUN like the wind up the stairs. Well guess who was following me?!?! YEP, buster the stupid dog. Well I got about 3 stairs from the top and this dog got my leg and bit down on me hard. Ripped my brand new jeans from the cuff to the crotch as I pulled my leg away. My NATURAL instinct in this scenario: I literally kicked that dog's head so hard that they later had to put him down b/c of brain issues. He went flying down the stairs and hit the concret hard. To top it off... my cousin was TICKED at me for doing it. All I did was look down at my crotch and back up at her and said "SERIOUSLY?!?!?!?!"

Now comon' HM... tell me you wouldn't have done the same thing. That dog needed to be put down. I love dogs too, but many times they don't have the right owners to train/teach them or they just can't be domesticated.

#15 ·
I would have probably done the same thing Tator
but have to ask were the pants really torn or did you have to throw them out for another reason?

#16 ·
I do not condone shooting anyones pet (or a possible pet) unless there is imminent danger to humans. I had a few collard dogs that would come by this winter, one got caught in a squierll trap I had set next to the front door. They came back and one growled at me as I was doing some work outside. I grabbed a 20 guage and fired two shots into my wood pile ( no where near the dogs) The sound was all it took to send them running away, tail tucked between there legs and I haven't seen them since.

The farmer out back has theretened to shoot a neighbors dog if it was found on his property. When my dog gets loose, (and he thinks cows are great to investigate), it is very nerve racking every second until he is safely back in my control.

#23 ·
Don't know where you live in WI, but in our county, there is a law that prohibits dogs wandering the countryside. Your best first course of action is to contact the owner. If they do not know what to do, suggest an underground electric fence - these work well. If that does not work and the owner is uncooperative, report it and the owner will get stuck with a $200 fine - this will get their attention.

Check your county laws or call your local sheriff's department.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.