Can't believe this - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:01 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default Can't believe this

I was standing at the kitchen sink this morning, looking out the window into the pasture behind the house. I noticed two stray dogs running the fence line (not unusual). I see that one has ahold of something and the other is trying to get it. Well it turns out that the something they had, is the euro mount skull and rack from my Nov. 2010 bow kill. I had it tied into the woven wire fence. There are three other racks and skulls down there drying out also (ones that were found when people don't follow up on their shots !!) But anyways, there I stand in a pair of sweats and slippers watching last year's trophy being carried away. I opened the door and took of through about 6 inches of snow trying to catch them but they took it and ran. I spent the afternoon trying to track them down with no luck. So as it stands now, the pics are the only physical proof of a successful bow season in 2010.........lesson learned
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2011, 08:53 PM
B&C 100 Class

some sour luck there if you ask me :(
Old 05-07-2011, 06:41 AM

sounds like it's time to track down a couple stray dogs!

Old 05-07-2011, 06:30 PM
B&C 140 Class

that sucks !!!! i had kinda the same situation but mine was a turkey beard. i tack my fans out in the garage in a board untill they are dry n ready for a plaqe mount well i didnt do anything with the beard but lay it with the fan next day i go to the garage only to find my beard is GONE, mouse must have sole it and i never even found one hair n i tore my garage apart looking for that beard.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:58 PM
B&C 100 Class

I would've shot those dogs as soon i as knew they were stray.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:42 PM
B&C 120 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake112 View Post
I would've shot those dogs as soon i as knew they were stray.

Same here!!
Old 05-15-2011, 06:05 PM
B&C 160 Class

We have some labs that keep coming around , and i saw them run are deer last season . they owners already got a warning
Old 05-15-2011, 07:35 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by delbert View Post
We have some labs that keep coming around , and i saw them run are deer last season . they owners already got a warning
One warning is enough, in my book. Next time, it may take either buck/birdshot for the dogs to get the hint. If that doesn't do it, then you might have to do what I did with my neighbor's dog (1/2 wolf//1/2 Siberian husky). Single 170 grain Winchester Silvertip .30/30 round. Oh wait, "some labs". Guess that means it will take two rounds.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:45 PM

I look at my two labs and think if they got loose and somebody shot them I'd be hunting the shooter down and loading him with comparable buck shot. I'm not against calling the dog warden on strays or shooting a rabid or agressive dog, but just make sure what you're doing is legal, ethical, and won't land you in the hooskow. I may be the lone wolf here, no pun intended, but I love dogs and shooting them turns my stomach. There are many 2 legged critters that I would shoot way before I'd shoot a dog.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:20 PM
B&C 140 Class

BTW - neighbor's dog was in a killing spree, killing my chickens. It would find one, kill it, then go after the next one. When I went to bed the night before, I had 2 dozen laying hens and a couple roosters. By the time the dog was through, I only had the roosters remaining. They were smart enough to fly up into a tree. I was finding chicken carcases for another three or four days.
The dog was killing because it was in its blood, not because it was hungry. County animal control said I had done the county a favor, since they had been trying to catch the dog in the act for over two years. Seems as if it would get out on a regular basis and kill goats, calves, pets, chickens, then run home and get let back into the back yard fence. Just providing a little "justification" for doing what I did.

There's another dog that wanders the area of the county where I live. It's a Great Pyrenees. But you can tell by looking at it that it's not aggressive. When it wandered into our yard, my son suggested using the shotgun. I chased it out using a broom.

Like you, HM, I do love dogs. (Daughter's chihuahua isn't considered a dog in my book. It's a snack!) But if my dogs were out killing other people's chickens, then they deserve killing. Here in rural Texas, it's legal to shoot dogs that are harassing/killing livestock. If they're not aggressive, then it's a judgement call on the land owner. If taken to court, more than likely the land owner will win, unless the dog owner can prove otherwise.

Just thought I'd provide (as Paul Harvey used to say) the rest of the story.