Mountain Lions - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:15 AM
B&C 180 Class

Default Mountain Lions

Seems like here in MO every week or so another mountain lion is spotted or shot. They are not normally here, but was wondering if any of you all have spotted a true mountain lion while out hunting? I think I would soil myself if I did...
The last sighting here in MO was approx 30 miles from my hunting area! Bobcats are also becoming more common, I find tracks of them all the time. Once again, I would soil myself if I found a mountain lion track..
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2011, 10:47 AM
B&C 120 Class

I'm up in the northeast MO and have heard a lot of people saying they saw one. I saw something that looked like a mountain lion but it was a bobcat.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:19 AM
B&C 180 Class

Where abouts in Northeastern MO? (I HAVE probably already asked you that question.. I apologize) Did you hear about the mountain lion they killed in Laplata? Then there was another one in Linn Co. just a week ago. They are popping up all over the place. I'm in Randolph Co. btw.

I had to laugh at the local story about the Laplata mountain lion... supposedly there were around 5 hunters out coyote hunting and they walked up on this mountain lion within 20 yds. They didn't have a dog w/them or anything, just themselves, but they felt threatened for their lives so they shot it. First off, keep in mind I've never seen a mountain lion in real life, but I'm seriously DOUBTING you can "walk-up" on one within 20yds without it jumping and getting out of there. Correct me if I'm wrong guys... Plus, there were 5 of them. I would have to believe that mountain lions are smart enough to know when they are outmatched.... getting 20yds from it... not likely in my eyes. I'm thinking it was more of this story line "5 guys hunting, saw a mountain lion at 200+yds away, had their high powered rifle so they took a shot at it and killed it." I would have to say the "walking up on it 20 yds away and it threatening them" would have to have been made up..........
Old 02-23-2011, 12:22 PM
B&C 120 Class

I'm in Macon county about 20 miles west of Laplata near a small place call New Boston. Haven't heard about the mountian lion story yet !!! Don't know how I would manage too walk up to 20 yardsof a mountian lion ( can't even walk up too a deer at 30 yards!!) It's kind of funny how the people tell stories around hear. I worked for a guy building a front porch for about three or four days and every day he would tell me about the time he stepped on a mine and blew off his big toe (He was a WW2 vet). He told me the story every day as if it was the first time he has told anyone.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:10 PM
B&C 140 Class

no mountain lions down here, but have saw a few Florida panthers.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:13 PM
B&C 180 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Racette View Post
I'm in Macon county about 20 miles west of Laplata near a small place call New Boston. Haven't heard about the mountian lion story yet !!! Don't know how I would manage too walk up to 20 yardsof a mountian lion ( can't even walk up too a deer at 30 yards!!) It's kind of funny how the people tell stories around hear. I worked for a guy building a front porch for about three or four days and every day he would tell me about the time he stepped on a mine and blew off his big toe (He was a WW2 vet). He told me the story every day as if it was the first time he has told anyone.

I know right where you're at!
Old 02-23-2011, 09:29 PM

Havent seen one in TN yet!!! But we sure do hear the stories just like you do in Missouri.

Im like you tator, except I would add one thing to the "i would Soil".

I would crap and fire, crap again, fire again, and repeat until I knew threat was gone!
Old 02-23-2011, 09:42 PM
B&C 120 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckfever View Post
Havent seen one in TN yet!!! But we sure do hear the stories just like you do in Missouri.

Im like you tator, except I would add one thing to the "i would Soil".

I would crap and fire, crap again, fire again, and repeat until I knew threat was gone!
I think we ALL would.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:23 AM
B&C 180 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckfever View Post

I think you forgot one HUGE thing there BF... and I believe we'd all be guilty of it...

SCREAMING LIKE A LITTLE GIRL! hahaha
Old 02-24-2011, 11:39 AM

This is why I always hunt with a heavy person
this way I don't have to out run the threat just the person I am hunting with