New to hunting in general, please help! - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:00 PM
Scrub Buck

Default New to hunting in general, please help!

Hello, this is my first post on your websight. I am 13 years old and live in ohio and I have sucsesfully passed my hunter education course with a %100 (higher than my dad's score of %99!) and I am wondering where to go next. my family owns a farm of about 60 achers with plenty of deer,turkey,squirrels,rabbits,birds, and varmints. I would like to deer hunt and have seen a couple of nice bucks. i would like to go this season with a slug gun, but i dont know where to start. i do know i would want to use a ground blind though. we are not on a tight budget. could you guys help me out alittle bit? (i would also like to rabbit or turkey hunt)

Last edited by Linkppn; 10-08-2007 at 10:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2007, 10:12 PM
Scrub Buck

Does scent control work? what gauge of gun? what action? field dressing information? anything that could be usefull would be nice. i have found some rubbings and beddings. should i hunt in the woods or on field edges? I am at a loss here.

Last edited by Linkppn; 10-08-2007 at 10:14 PM.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:51 AM

welcome to the site. ill try to answer a few of your questions and then let some of our other members throw some input out there.

yes scent control does work. deer have extremely powerful noses and if they catch a whiff of human scent their gone. please check out the scent elimation artcile in the hunting tips section and you will see what i do to control my scent. i usually use products from wildlife research. i cant stress enough how important it is to get rid of human scent.

there is also another article in the hunting tips section titled field dressing. its a pretty simple step by step to show you how to gut a deer. it will a be little gross to you and will probably take you a little while but after your first few deer you will be a pro.

as far as what type of slugs i will let the shotgun hunters on here answer that one for you. i have never shot a deer with a shotgun before.

where to hunt the deer? since you live on the property always keep your eyes open and see if you notice any consistent deer movement or patterns. i usually hunt in the woods during the mornings and then move to a field edge in the evening time. if you can see some fields from your house try and figure out what locations the deer are coming out of the woods to eat in the fields. those would be some good spots to hunt. notice what time of day there coming out and try to get set up in one of those locations several hours before they usually arrive. then maybe you can get one as it is walking to the field.

if you find a consistent bedding area that you know the deer use every day i would leave this area alone. leave some areas of the land "untouched" so you dont run all the deer off.

me personally i dont hunt from a ground blind. not saying i never hunt off the ground, i just prefer to hunt from a higher elevation than the deer. the higher i am the less likely the deer will see or smell me. thus giving me a better chance of being able to shoot a deer.

you will get alot of different tips from all different types of hunters. i just ask that you remember one thing. there is no exact science to deer hunting. sometimes it is just luck when people take a trophy buck. take the tips that you think are intelligent and make good sense. you will learn from your mistakes. and dont be afraid to ask questions. us hunters that have been doing this awhile might be able to help you not make the mistakes we did when we were 13.

thanks again for joining up. and if you shoot a deer be sure a post and pic of it in our gallery so you can be entered into our young sportsman contest.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:43 AM
B&C 100 Class

Wink

Hi My Friend,

You will likely want to choose a shotgun that you can handle first. I would suggest a 16 or 20 guage if you can handle the recoil. If not try a 410 guage.

When you are using a shotgun for deer, I recommend shooting only slugs. Also whatever gun that you use, you should know it's limitations, by that I mean learn how far away that you can shoot at a target and still hit where you are aiming. If you would like my free ebook on whitetail hunting please go to the classified section on this site and you will see my post for a free ebook.

You will find a lot of useful information in my book as well as a few stories that I'm sure you will enjoy. You see most of us hunters started out when we were your age, and many of us had the same questions that you now have.

If you would like anymore info just let me know.

Learn all you can

AJHunter
Old 10-09-2007, 03:01 PM
Scrub Buck

do you think i would be able to handel a 12 gauge? im not a small boy.

Old 10-09-2007, 03:48 PM
Scrub Buck

i would get a couple of stands get in the woods and look for sign look for heavy runs especially where the acorns are and put a stand up where the deer run is upwind of you down let the wind blow from you to the deer trail wind is crucial you always want to be where the deer are not going to smell u ! look for rubs and scrapes along field edges and look for rub lines and scrape lines near field edges and food sources but i think right now you must look for white oaks thats where they will be and like i said downwind yourself ! and if u can invest in some scent loc and buy a bottle of scent eliminator and spray when you get dressed and spray yourself down when you get in your stand or blind again
remember be still and be scent free free free free scent free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
any questions feel free to contact me any time lopedog394!
good luck buddy you will get one have patience thats the other key patience patience patience!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-09-2007, 03:53 PM
B&C 100 Class

Smile

All I can say is try it, as long as you feel that you can handle it, then by all means use a 12 guage.

A 12 guage slug will bring down a grizzly bear if shot within 50 yards or so. And it will drop even the biggest of deer, right in their tracks, with a well placed shot.

AJHunter
Old 10-09-2007, 03:58 PM
Scrub Buck

should i hunt right next to where i found scrapes?

Old 10-10-2007, 10:03 AM
B&C 100 Class

Scrape hunting is effective, if you know the scrapes are active, and you can stay downwind and well hidden. A treestand will give you a much better chance at a buck that is tending a scrapeline, and you will be able to get a closer shot. You should also know that if you choose to hunt from a treestand, you will need to aim higher on the animal to hit the vitals. Aim just a few inches below the backbone. If you were standing on the ground you would aim just behind the forward shoulder, in the center of the chest cavity, to hit the vitals. But in a treestand if you aim in the center of the chest cavity you may not kill the animal. Think of it this way, the slug will go in where you are aiming but will come out low, because you are shooting down, so to compensate for shooting down you need to aim higher than you would if you were shooting from the ground.

You will find that a mature buck will check his scrapeline, early morning, or late evening. Possibly more, depending on the buck to doe ratio, and how far into the rut.

Be careful if you choose to use a stand, safety should be your first concern, when using a treestand.

AJHunter

Last edited by AJHunter; 10-10-2007 at 10:22 AM.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:28 PM
Scrub Buck

how do i tell if a scrape line is fresh?