New to hunting in general, please help! - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:04 PM
B&C 100 Class

Well I guess the best way to explain this to you would be to go out side and dig the ground bare with a rake or your foot and then look at the ground. It should appear to be slightly wet and possibly dark in color. Now as the sun dries it out it will appear a lighter color.

So learn the difference between a fresh scrape and a scrape that may be old. A buck will visit his active scrapes and dig them up from time to time, during the rut, so keep an eye on any scrape that you find.

If you want him to get angry, go buy some buck urine and pour some in his scrape. The next time he visits, he will really tear it up, hopefully you will be somewhere close by and get a shot at him, or at the very least, get a chance to observe his behavior.

Good Luck

AJHunter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2007, 01:25 AM
Scrub Buck

Im sorry, i mistook terms. i ment trees with the bark rubbed off by bucks.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:33 AM

i gotcha ya. your talking about rubs or in area where you have quite a few in a row rub lines. a fresh rub would look like someone took a knife to it that day and scrubed bark off of it. and old rub would look like its been awhile or even a year since someone took a knife to it. check out these 2 photos in the hunting tips section. its under deer rubs. the 2nd one is what i would call a pretty new rub. the 3rd one an old rub.

here i will just put them here for you
new rub probably
http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/tips/.../cedar_rub.jpg

old rub
http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/tips/...bs/old_rub.jpg

Last edited by buckfever; 10-11-2007 at 01:42 AM.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:43 AM
Scrub Buck

oh! well then I have found multiple new rubs. does that show ownership to a part of the woods? should i hunt in the vicinity of a rub?
Old 10-11-2007, 05:59 PM
B&C 100 Class

to tell if a scrape line is fresh is some what hard.. if it is a rub/scrape on a tree the tree will still be wet or green if small enough. On the ground if it is really fresh the dirt will be darker than usual but other than these few ideas it would be tuff. Um maybe i could also ask, wouldnt it be a little to early for scrapes or does the rut not matter on this??
Old 10-11-2007, 06:03 PM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkppn View Post
do you think i would be able to handel a 12 gauge? im not a small boy.

im sure you can hande a 12 gauge, just take your time in shooting it so you dont flinch for the recoil, it will knock ur aim off big time. I personally dont recommend the rem. 870, i thought it was garbage, always jammed for some reason. I went with a moss. 500 and its great and shoots true.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:30 PM
B&C 100 Class

rublines and scrapelines are a bucks signpost. It is generally considered to be a bucks way of marking his territory. This alerts does' as well as other bucks, that there is a buck in that territory.

This does not mean that any particular buck lays claim to the area, because during the height of the rut, a bigger buck may come along, and drive a less subordinate buck off.

Hope this helps.

AJHunter
Old 10-11-2007, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkppn View Post
oh! well then I have found multiple new rubs. does that show ownership to a part of the woods? should i hunt in the vicinity of a rub?
i do sometimes hunt in a vicinity of a rub. it very well could be that the buck is making these rubs at night though. so just because you see rubs does not mean you will see deer. it is a sure sign that you have deer in your woods though. i try to find an area around the vicinity of the rub that is off the beaten path that a big buck would be found in. or a funnel area where if the deer that is making the rubs walks through you have a good chance of catching him walking in.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:09 PM
B&C 100 Class

yea i also hunted near two active rubs on the ground that you could see were being tended to, i even made a mock rub with a rake and scuffed up the ground and put down some scent. never saw the deer while hunting so i got curious and set up a trail cam and found he was a brute but always came at night. The older they are the smarter. i would agree with you buckfever but i would disagree with the beaten path, older deer will often stay about 20 feet off of the path and stay in cover where they feel more secure.(not sure if that what u were saying)
Old 10-11-2007, 07:22 PM

yeah burgerking (im hungry) i was trying to say "off the beaten path". not recomending a doe trail but one a little off from that that is less traveled in thick cover that may be a big buck travel area