Deer Movement In Wind? - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:45 PM
Scrub Buck

Default Deer Movement In Wind?

Will deer move if the wind is blowing hard? My dad seems to think no. what do ya'll think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2011, 02:08 PM
B&C 140 Class

Usualy around here they will move if in ridge bottoms and the no wind side of hills and only in a windy area only to cross from one bottom to another and usualy in a fast hopping trot when crossing. Deer relay on their sence of smell almost too much and it's harder for them to tell what's what in higher wind, so to say they don't move on windy days is unlikely but to say they try to stay in areas of lower air movment on higher windy days would be more what area you would need to set up on. That's why it's important to have a few stand locations in your hunting area so you can a just to their changes in the weather , n your wind placement
Old 01-21-2011, 02:24 PM
B&C 180 Class

It's been my experience that they (deer) will do just about anything except dance and sleep at night.

They'll move in the wind, but they will be more skiddish and cautious.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:41 AM
B&C 140 Class

I'm by far no expert on deer movements, but I do know this about the deer here in central TX - when the wind is blowing hard here, I've learned not to even bother going out since I have yet to see any deer moving around in it.

I do agree with what was said about the deer relying on their sense of smell. Their smell receptors are better than a dog and they use that to stay alive.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:47 PM

X2 with Tator
Old 01-22-2011, 03:50 PM
B&C 100 Class

Smile Deer In Wind

It's been my experience that deer move very little at all under windy conditions. It seems they like to be sheltered from it just like people do. I feel there are two GOOD options in the wind. If you have the manpower you can put on a drive or there's my personal favorite, still hunting. The wind cuts down the deer's ability to hear you moving.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:59 PM
B&C 180 Class

I still disagree w/most of you. Deer will still move, but they are much more cautious,,, therefore they smell much better and hear much better. That is why you never see them. On windy days, it's best to be in a blind or WAAY up high in a tree (which I don't recommend for obvious reasons). Deer still get up and move around, but the chances of you seeing them is limited.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:51 AM

Wind alone will not stop deer from moving. I've seen deer moving many times in high winds, I used to think the same thing that deer got on their bellies during high winds but over the years I learned it wasn't true BUT when you combine wind with other weather conditions like extreme cold or heavy rainfalls then you've got a different situation, under those conditions Deer will more than likely always be found bedding.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:11 AM

Deer still have to do basic things like getting water, feed. Their movements are less and they are on high alert because the wind disrupts sense of smell. Things are always moving in high winds and again this causes them to be nervous as #2 sense is not great, then hearing is not as good so #3 sense makes for some nervous deer. I seem to always resort to slow stalking when winds are up and seems like I kick them up from beds???
Old 01-23-2011, 01:11 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting Man View Post
Deer still have to do basic things like getting water, feed. Their movements are less and they are on high alert because the wind disrupts sense of smell. Things are always moving in high winds and again this causes them to be nervous as #2 sense is not great, then hearing is not as good so #3 sense makes for some nervous deer. I seem to always resort to slow stalking when winds are up and seems like I kick them up from beds???
I agree with this take on deer and wind. In my experience, deer do move less during windy days for the reasons Hunting Man has listed. Basically, ALL of their senses are negatively impacted by wind. Yes, deer have to eat no matter what the weather, but they can hole up during windy days just like they can during big snow storms.
I do agree that they get more cautious as Tator stated: "they are much more cautious,,,", but I don't agree when he says, "therefore they smell much better and hear much better". This sounds like they can dial up their senses in bad conditions - this is not physically possible.