Deer Movement In Wind? - Page 3 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:17 PM
B&C 180 Class

well those rubs are a good start. I would check for trails and possibly get some trail cams set out that way you can pattern where the deer are coming from and traveling through. unfortunately, those rubs are useless for this season b/c the bucks are marking their territory like they were during the pre-rut and rut. plus, bucks rub those trees to get the velvet off their rack each year. I once heard someone say that the velvet starts to itch them when it starts drying out.... then they go crazy trying to get it off.... that's why rubs are sometimes kinda violent looking!
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2011, 02:19 PM
Scrub Buck

thanks tator i'm going to go buy some trail cams this weekend if possible.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:50 PM
B&C 140 Class

ok tator im gonna disagree with you on the rubbing. I use to think the same way. but after resurching and reading studdies and and other web finding buck do not rub trees to remove their velvet.. their velvet will fall off all by its self as the horns mature, yes rubbing does help remove the velvet but the only purpose for a deer rubbing a tree is for a (work out) its part of their breeding that by intemidation to other bucks by the size of their necks. ( just as beard size to tom turkey in spring) thats why deer are still rubbing trees well after their velvet is gone. and its usualy concetrated to their breading areas in what we call rub lines. and is usualy around close to a scrape area, its kinda like a dog pissing on every fence post around his dog house. and also a good tell on a good guesstament on the size of the deer by the size of the tree's the deer is rubbing on
Old 01-25-2011, 04:20 PM
B&C 180 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by on_the_fly View Post
ok tator im gonna disagree with you on the rubbing. I use to think the same way. but after resurching and reading studdies and and other web finding buck do not rub trees to remove their velvet.. their velvet will fall off all by its self as the horns mature, yes rubbing does help remove the velvet but the only purpose for a deer rubbing a tree is for a (work out) its part of their breeding that by intemidation to other bucks by the size of their necks.
I agree but like I said... I just heard that somewhere that the velvet starts to itch them and they try to rub that off while they rub. I guess I didn't word it right.... I didn't meant to say that was the only reason they rubbed... they leave scent when they rub as well. and yes, it's true by rubbing they get more stronger and it is a sign to fellow bucks in the area that his is MY area. Just like scrapes... onthefly..sorry i re-read what I wrote and didn't mean it the way it sounded... by bad! <---me
Old 01-25-2011, 08:25 PM

Buck rub lines generally indicate the travel routes and be a really great bonus if they coincide with scrape lines later in the fall. Bucks transfer scent from their foreheads to the trees and yes communicate to others of their territory. I really believe the itching thing is an old wives tale. I use rub lines to locate buck travel routes and then look for scrape lines during the rut to pin point them. These seem to go hand in hand. I also believe in the sign post rub as the calling card of a really mature buck saying get out of my place! As far as stand locations, you will need to determine fall wind directions, fall travel corridors, food supply if possible in adjacent properties, potential water sources, and put the puzzle together for a good stand location. You may want to locate additional stand locations as things change.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:20 AM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by tator View Post
also wanted to explain what I meant about deer can sometimes hear better in the wind... that's not ALWAYS true. For example, from my house the nearest train tracks are about 4 miles away. You can not hear a train coming if it's just a regular day. But on a slightly windy day, seems like the sound carries more for some reason. cannot explain it, will not try to explain it... haha
i understood ya. lol. just for example , this last season, the weather was pretty goofy. In, lets call them normal winds, deer can smell and hear better, because of scent and sound being carried with the wind. It also works for us. being downwind of something in light winds can hear and smell more stuff. High winds 20+ mph , i have seen deer move , but they look like a spring ready to pop at any moment. At 20+ mph winds, there are leaves falling, branches breaking. Everything in the woods seem to move. Deer to rely on seeing movement to a point.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:17 AM
B&C 180 Class

honestly, i like it when there's a little wind b/c it covers my noiseyness! I can't tell you how many times I'll tip toe all the way to my stand and be absolutely QUIET and 5 ft from my stand CRUNCH, SNAP! Stupid Stick! haha
Old 02-25-2011, 11:51 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default Deer in a snow storm

(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:23 PM
Scrub Buck

It's been my experience that deer will move, just very cautiously as tator said. One tool that I find very helpful when hunting deer in windy conditions is consulting this website called ScoutLookWeather.com

They have these 2 features called ScentCone and SetZone that map any treestand or hunting spot to see the wind for 72 hours. I can then compare locations and select one based on wind shifts and speeds during my hunt. I then know where and how to set my treestands to best play the wind of the day.

It's helped me on several deer hunts to anticipate better. I know this didn't 100% answer the original question but I hope it helps ya'll on your next hunt on a windy day.