Tree Stand - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:21 AM
B&C 100 Class

Default Tree Stand

I've never hunted from a tree stand yet. Would anyone recommend any good, inexpensive (<$100) and portable tree stand (I hunt alone and at several public grounds and we have to remove stands at the end of season (if not day)).

What is important in a good stand (length, weight, ease of setting up, rails) ?

And how to use the stand technique effectively?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2011, 10:55 AM
B&C 180 Class

You can get a good stand for under $100, and right now is the time of year to get it. Most places will have them going on sale. I strongly recommend Dick's Sporting Goods if there's one near you. The one where I live has all their stands on sale. You can get a good climber stand for WELL under $100. I saw one the other day for only like $39. Most places have their 15' ladder stands on sale for around $89-$100 right now too- (that's what I use, I like them the best) Ladder stands take a little longer to set up, but they are more sturdy to me and I like the sturdiness! If you do go with a ladder stand, try it out in your yard a few times. Set it up, and take it down over and over again. After awhle, you'll get pretty fast w/them. The first one I ever did took me like 45 min to set up and get all ready by myself... now I can do it all in about 15 min.
Make sure you pick a good spot for your stand too. Find a good trail, food plot, or watering hole the deer like to use. I do this by using trail cameras. They do the research for me. Find a hot trail and set up a stand w/in range of it. Good Luck!
Old 01-05-2011, 11:39 AM
B&C 100 Class

I am thinking about this one - Pack-N-Stack 13' Ladder Stand from Gander Mountain for $89, but it's 13'. I hope that's enough length and its lighter weight would compensate me loss of heights.

I shall check Dick's sporting goods too, it's not far from me.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:15 PM
B&C 180 Class

you can get basically the same thing at Dick's for the same price and 2 foot taller!
I found that if you go to Dick's their in-store sales are better than online.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:59 PM

If you choose a climber just get a whole bunch of practice in it going up trees just shoulder height before you hunt with it. That will boost your confidence up for the hunt and familiarize yourself with the safety harness that comes with it.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:33 PM
B&C 140 Class

climbers are the way to go hunting public land and have to pull stands. if your gun hunting only i like facing tree climbers (always felt they conceled me better) but if bow hunting just get something in your price range thats not too heavy newer aluminum stands are nice. look at your local craigslist there full of deer stands right now since seasons ending. i mostly hunt private prop and have been switching to all ladder stands. i now have three and have not used a climber since. o and a trick i use to do when i used my climber was tie a ribbon on the base of my tree so i could find it in the dark and also one at top at 20 foot so i knew i was at right hight and i always put the knot in the ribbon in my face so i was in line with any shooting lanes i may have cleared out. o and when useing when you place on tree set it where it set on tree where the outter part is up wards and not flat because when you climb the tree the higher you go the smaller the tree. avarage if you think its a prety straight tree, you'll probly need to set your stand at the base about 2 to 3 inches high to be close to level.

Last edited by on_the_fly; 01-05-2011 at 08:37 PM.