Deer Hunting Forums banner

Cellular Scouting Cam

27K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  3212 
#1 ·
I am wanting to purchase my husband a scout cam that will send the pics to his cell phone or pc. I have only been able to find one by penns wood ( i think that's right) but anyway I am not sure what to look for. He has showed it to me at one time and I remember that the price was like 600.00. Can anyone make any suggestions.

Thanks

#2 ·
Scout cams...

I did a little digging and it appears there aren't many scout cams that send the pics to your phone. The one you mentioned is this one:

Cellular-Scout CS-05

You'll not only need at least $569 for the scout cam setup, you'll need to have a Treo 600 or 650, since that's the cell phone/camera that fits in the scout cam case. The Treo 600 came out around 2003, and you can get one for $100 or so. Maybe cheaper if you got one used on Ebay (no idea if you can even find them there).

The only other thing I could find remotely resembling this product is security cameras and such like here: Safe Scout Remote Video Alarm

That's actually pretty cool. $200 for the whole shebang, but you're going to pay a monthly charge to the security company. I've no clue if they'd actually go with the idea of taking pics of deer as opposed to someone breaking in your house. But I bet if you talked to them, they'd agree, since like most companies, they like money.

If you don't want to put out the $700+ for the Penns Woods setup, you might try digging into the security camera industry a bit deeper. Security camera setups have had this technology for awhile. Besides the link I posted above, I also found this one on the popular mechanics website:

Nokia Observation Camera Sends Pictures To Your Cellphone - Popular Mechanics

The price is better and you won't need two cell phones.

It's called M2M (or machine to machine) technology. Just do some googling for things like -- security camera send pictures to cell phone -- and I bet you can find something that will work as well, and for a better price.

If money isn't an issue... you can buy the Penns Woods camera right there on their site. You might do a google search for Penns Woods discount coupon code or something to see if you can get it a little bit cheaper. ;]

Good luck!

:thumbup:

#3 ·
There is a camera E-Buckmail, I have 2 of them, my land is 50 miles from my home and I can check my picytures anywhere there is a computer or with a Blackberry phone.They are IR at night [no flash], I have mine hooked to a deep cycle batteries and have put a couple of solar panels with it to keep the batteries charged. They cost about $600 and you need to add thge cell service, but you don't have to pay gas to get pictures. I have even checked mine while in Canada fishing.

I have been using them for over 1 year, you can check on their website, e-BuckMail.com Home Page. They take a lot of pictures but I just delete them.

#4 ·
I've been trying to get my hands on any type of these trail cams but most are quite too pricey for me, however, I think that the info that a trail cam can provide is priceless. You can scout trails and field edges without polluting the area. I just caught a segment on TV about trail cams using the "web cam" feature. I don't know much about this type of technology but maybe the prices are worth it and could pay off in the end.

#5 ·
I Have a regular digital that I use on my property where there is no cell service, and it just eats up batteries. I figure in a year I save more on gas and batteries with the eBuckmail cam than the cheaper cameras, and I check my pictures 2-3 times per day and I am not going into the area all the time.

#6 ·
Wireless and Standard Trail Camera Systems - BuckEye Cam

The Buckeye Cam is probably one of the best cameras out there. It is made in the good ole USA. The great thing about the Buckeye Cam is that not only does it imprint the time, but also the temperature and moon phase. It is also IR capable. You can check it from your home computer, I'm sure you could also check it from your cell. Check out the site and click on the live cams.

I think he also sells them on ebay.

#7 ·
That Buck eye cam is not cell camera, you need antennas and a base, its "wireless"like a walkie talkie. The EBuckmail cam cost was $600 and then you would want a deep cycle battery and a couple of solar panels $20-$25 each and you are set, for equipment, then you will need to do you cell service like a cell phone.

#8 ·
We use the buckeyecam system all you need is a computer within range (couple miles) and you can have multiple cameras transmitting back to the computer and upload to anywhere using your computer's internet. Make sure to check the usage fees on the cell based cameras most are really expensive in the long run.
You can have the pictures/videos sent to the livecam site and or emailed to anyone automatically. Plus you can operate multiple cameras from the same computer - livecam siteBuckEyeCam LiveCamera
Also Buckeye Cam is coming out with a new Apollo system in 2008 that is cheaper and you can add the wireless feature. No service fees and take thousands of pictures per camera per week easily.

Here is a link to our livecam site - you can see what went by the camera recently and BuckEyeCam LiveCamera
Just click on the camera to view the most recent 90 pictures per camera.

#12 ·
Hey Buckshot, the way I see it you gain in time management. There are some of us that hunt too far away to travel all the way out there to chk pics. This way you can see where the action is before you make you're weekly, biweekly or whatever trip out to the hunt site.You can preplan where you need to hunt and when even though you haven't been there in a couple weeks.

#13 ·
Yea I guess if you had enough of them it would help. I keep getting this image of my grandson sitting in a high teck shooting house about 20 years from now with multiple hi-def screens monitoring the trails for a shooter like a video game. :)

#15 ·
Yea I guess if you had enough of them it would help. I keep getting this image of my grandson sitting in a high teck shooting house about 20 years from now with multiple hi-def screens monitoring the trails for a shooter like a video game. :)

Or a security officer watching 20 HDTV monitors waiting for action. Only the security man wears all camo and carries a rifle instead of a pistol.:shocking:

#14 ·
aint nothing gonna take the place of "boots on the ground":yes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.