Whats Too Cold - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 12-31-2010, 07:42 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default Whats Too Cold

I am planning a hunt for tomorrow morning ,Opening Day of Doe Season, Forecast to be 8 degrese in the morning at 6 am sunrise is at 7:49 it will be aroun 10 at that time. Is this too cold for the deer o move should I just wait and hunt the evening when it will be in the 20's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2010, 08:12 PM

The best answer is get out there during both times, If you can handle the cold why not go? Deer move a lot in the cold but it depends on how much wind they have to endure also
if it's a light to moderate wind those are great hunting conditions if the wind becomes heavy to extreme the deer are most likely going to stay in or near their beds...
Good Luck & Happy New Year

Old 12-31-2010, 09:40 PM

There's usually a mid day movement also, so as long as you can stand it go for it. Good luck!
Old 01-01-2011, 09:43 AM
B&C 140 Class

I don't believe "cold", by itself, will keep deer from moving. Look at it this way, the colder it gets, the more energy deer use just trying to maintain their body temperature. This means they need MORE food to keep them going. They've got to eat! Deer are less inclined to move during a storm or in very windy conditions.
Also, what we consider "cold" and what game animals consider "cold" might be two entirely different things. I've seen deer and elk doing their normal thing in temperatures way below zero. And elk, for example, aren't even comfortable until the temps get down to freezing. I had two hunter friends get frostbite, here in Montana, this year while hunting elk. One of them killed a 6x6 bull, and got frostbite while he was gutting it out. The other one wasn't so lucky! I watched football that day.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:34 AM

Good points guys.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:14 AM
B&C 180 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDat View Post
I am planning a hunt for tomorrow morning ,Opening Day of Doe Season, Forecast to be 8 degrese in the morning at 6 am sunrise is at 7:49 it will be aroun 10 at that time. Is this too cold for the deer o move should I just wait and hunt the evening when it will be in the 20's?

It is NEVER too cold for deer to move!
Old 01-02-2011, 08:41 AM
B&C 100 Class

Default Found that out

Went out with son and nephew 14 and 15 yewar olds. Saw several deer in the morning but never got a shot they were moving with purpose and never stoped. could have taken one myself but wasnt actually shooting trying to get my nephew his first deer. He couldnt get on them quick enough. The cold won the boys couldnt hold out through the evening hunt and pressed until i brought themhome. They are yuoung, Ill get them next week.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:52 AM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDat View Post
Went out with son and nephew 14 and 15 yewar olds. Saw several deer in the morning but never got a shot they were moving with purpose and never stoped. could have taken one myself but wasnt actually shooting trying to get my nephew his first deer. He couldnt get on them quick enough. The cold won the boys couldnt hold out through the evening hunt and pressed until i brought themhome. They are yuoung, Ill get them next week.
You did the right thing by not pushing them to stay. You don't want to turn these young ones off to hunting because you didn't make it fun for them. I guess the reality of it is that they could be sitting at home playing stupid video games instead of even trying to hunt. So just keep it easy and go lightly with them. In just a little time, they'll figure out the difference between what's real and what digital.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:31 AM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehorse View Post
You did the right thing by not pushing them to stay. You don't want to turn these young ones off to hunting because you didn't make it fun for them. I guess the reality of it is that they could be sitting at home playing stupid video games instead of even trying to hunt. So just keep it easy and go lightly with them. In just a little time, they'll figure out the difference between what's real and what digital.
Thanks for the response. I was doubting my decision the old teach them to swim by throwing them in the water thing. I know when i was young my dad put me in a stand and i stayed there until he came back. some miserable days for a 8 year old and scary before daylight... but i got it and love it. kids are different these days. I really want them to get it as well as my 3 younger sons. I plan to introduce my 6 year old to hunting with Turkey season this year.