My toes are freezing..Please help - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 12-25-2010, 11:58 AM
Scrub Buck

Default My toes are freezing..Please help

I dont want to break any spam laws of the group but the last few times I went hunting my feet (especially my toes ) froze completely off and now I am toeless.........I went to walmart, got new toes and want to know the best way to keep them warm via boots ,shoes, tuips, tricks. I am hunting on the ground so my feet are on the cold ground and I wear rubber boots from walmart.
Brand name is okay but I really really want the best thing I can do because if I get the foot coldness taken away the rest is easy...thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2010, 08:07 PM

You can get a pair of nice boot blanket foot covers and use the heat pads. I get along fine with a pair of insulated socks and the boot blankets on.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:28 PM
B&C 140 Class

i use rubber boots too. I wear my regular footy sock with a hand warmer on top of my toes with a long thick pair of wool socks over that. i was doing the same without the hand warmer and my toes were freezing after abot an hour in the woods now i dont have any problems with my feet at all. and if you get hand warmers like i get from walmart, they say good up to 10 hours well if you only hunt for like 4 hours and after you get out if you put the hand warmer in a zip lock bag and get as much the air out as you can they'll stop heating and you can use later or when ever. from my expirance if you use a up to 10 hour warmer and only use for 4 hours and zip lock it its good for only bout 4 more hours and you do not have to use the same day as long as the zip lock stays closed you can us next year if need to.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:58 AM
B&C 100 Class

Lightbulb Getting Cold Feet

I use a pair of thick yet wicking socks under boots with 600 gr. Thinsulate insulation. You can get air activated foot warmers that go in the bottom of your boot, they're just like the hand warmers. You could also try a pair of moisture wicking socks under the heavy pair. Also maybe get boot a 1/2 size bigger. If boots are tight they can cut off your circulation. I know a guy that sprays original, brown can Right Guard on his feet. He says this keeps his feet from sweating and he swears by it. Hope this helps.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:11 PM
B&C 160 Class

keeping your feet compleatly dry is the key. as mentioned wicking socks are good. baby power aslo works wonders.
Old 12-26-2010, 02:30 PM

I use a wigwam liner socks under heavy wool socks. I also go to 1800 gram thinsulate boots when its really cold otherwise I go with 800 gram lacross boots.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:43 PM
B&C 180 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by on_the_fly View Post
i use rubber boots too. I wear my regular footy sock with a hand warmer on top of my toes with a long thick pair of wool socks over that.
I agree otf... I put the warmers under my toes though... I wear a regular pair of long cotton socks and then I wear a pair of really heavy wool socks, and I put the warmers between the pairs of socks. I also wear rubber boots. Those rubber boots at wal-mart are steel toed aren't they? I had a pair before and they were steal toed. We have a store here in the mid-west that is a great farm-and-home store called orscheln's. They sell great rubber boots for around $30. that's what I wear. I have boughten a pair of camo rubber boots that are insulated like 500 gram or whatever. I have to warn people, once you wear those and sweat in them, don't think you'll get them back on your feet for another 4-5 hours! Those things are hard to get back on when they have been worn and sweated in. Waste of money,,, I went back to my rubber boots.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:37 AM
Scrub Buck

I had the same problem, couldn't figure out why I could be comfortable everyplace except my toes. Finally figured it out. Being a retired machinist every pair of boots I had was steel toed. when the steel got cold, well you see my point. Got regular boots and now have no problem. May sound silly but just a simple thing I overlooked. Charlie