Taxidermist.... - Page 3 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:58 AM

Tator sounds like the taxidermist that did my first deer must have moved to Missouri
Sounds kinda like him mine worked out in the end he did a great job but took 3 weeks shy of 2 years to get it back always had an excuse
Hope everything works out in the end for you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2010, 12:11 PM
B&C 180 Class

Well it's a nice mount, I will say that, but there are a few visible flaws. There is a spot under the chin where it should be white and there is a bald spot, there are also a few places around the eyes that I think could've been touched up better than he did. The plaque he mounted it on (which I didn't want him to) has a nick in it too, which is why he told me "I threw in the plaque for free!" I told him point blank, "I didn't want a plaque in the first place, looks like I got this one because it has this nick on there" he didn't care for that comment. Thinking about taking the plaque off and re-touching up the place where there's a nick and selling it on ebay for $50. That'll get my money back! hahaha
Old 12-20-2010, 02:14 PM

Take it back to him and ask him if wants to buy it back for 50 Bucks !!!

Old 12-20-2010, 03:34 PM
B&C 180 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBruce1959 View Post
Take it back to him and ask him if wants to buy it back for 50 Bucks !!!

haha that's an idea!!! but I thought it would be funnier if I included that I sold the plaque for $60 on ebay in my report to the Better business Bureau! hahahaha That way when he reads it that's in there!
Old 12-20-2010, 07:17 PM
B&C 100 Class

You handled the situation alot better than most. I would of been furious with him.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:25 PM

I possibly would run an ad in the local paper!
Old 01-02-2011, 10:38 AM
B&C 140 Class

I was a taxidermist for over 25 years, so you might be interested in my take on your situation. First of all, YOU didn't do anything wrong. In fact, you have been more than patient with this joker. As I read your posts and the responses from other members, I found myself getting more amd more angry to the point where I only got through about half of the posts before I just had to write this. Guys like this give all taxidermists a bad name. I could go on with my feelings, but I'll try to give some constructive postive advice to you and the others who read this thread.
First, it's a good idea to visit several taxidermists to check out their work and to get a "feel" about them and their set up. And don't wait until you have an animal in the back of your truck. Start visiting these guys off season. During your visit, ask if the taxidermist belongs to the National Taxidermists Association or state association. In addition to seeing what's on their walls, ask them to show you pictures of their work.
Second, ask for references - AND CALL THEM to ask about delivery time, quality of work, etc.
Third, after you've made your choice, be sure to get a contract, signed by you and the taxidermist, and REQUIRE him or her to give you a finish date IN WRITING on the contract. (That was something my contracts always included. In fact, unlike some taxidermists who try to get you to leave your trophy with them by giving you an unrealistic early date, I always gave an outside time, so when I called "early" to say the work was done, the hunter was always pleasantly surprised. This got me LOTS of return customers and recommendations.)
The thing with the cape swap really got me pissed off. This is nothing less than stealing from you.

This whole thing reminds me of a taxidermist story I heard which shows how guys like this give taxidermists a bad name:

A disgruntled hunter walks into a bar, and after a few drinks, he starts complaining about the bad taxidermist that screwed up his mount. He gets louder and louder and all worked up until he yells, "All taxidermists are a**holes!"
At which point, the guy next to him responds, "Hey, I resent that."
The hunter replies, "What, are you a taxidermist?"
To which the guy next to him says,"No, I'm an a**hole."

Go to the home page of this site and check out my article on choosing a taxidermist: "The Hunter-Taxidermist Team".

Last edited by onehorse; 01-02-2011 at 10:41 AM.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:36 AM
B&C 180 Class

onehorse, thank you for your reply. I have to admit, this was the first buck I have had mounted and so I was new at the this. I should have done my homework and had that done before I went to him. I'm in the process of reporting this to the BBB because something has to be done. Can anyone tell me what this does though? Is it like a slap on the hand basically? Or does this guy get red flagged or something on the BBB website? Just curious.
I do realize not all taxidermist are like this... this ONE guy, however, is not a good person. My mount was not huge guys. It was a 9 pt and probably in the 125-130 class. BUT to me, he was a special buck. He was one that I had watched via trail cams for sometime, and also the first buck I've killed since my son was born. It was just sentimental to me. Next time I'll be sure to go to a taxidermist that treats my buck like the 200in buck next to it. Do mechanics work harder on a cadillac than a honda? NO, they are doing the best job they can because they treat every car like it's their's. This taxidermist treated my buck like it was not worth his time.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:28 AM
B&C 180 Class

Well guys, I filed the complaint just now. I feel better about this whole situation and hopefully something will be resolved. Let me be the guinea pig guys, do your research when thinking of mounting a deer. Trust me, you don't want this happening to you...
Old 01-04-2011, 06:46 PM
B&C 100 Class

sorry to hear about your trouble i know what your talking about i went to 3 taxidemist before i found the best the first two took more than a year to return my mounts and the third lost my mount and didnt want to give back my deposit but finly i found one that is awsome there not all bad word of mouth is a good thing good luck hope all works out for you