Succesful Season! - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 12-12-2010, 05:06 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default Succesful Season!

Well guys, I could have done day by day postings but I'm gonna write ya a little book . This was my first year back into hunting (been away at college) and this is the first year with the new rifle my fiancée bought me last Christmas.

First Day
I was at a deer camp with my future father-in-law and the owner of the camp. I saw 4 doe and a redfox. Unfortunately I didn't have the right doe tag for the area so they all got a free pass. FFIL saw some doe as well but didn't have the opportunity to shoot. Owner of the camp got a massive 8 point. He was a beautiful deer and he sported a 20'' spread. Pic:

First Saturday
Went back to the mountains on Friday evening for Saturday's hunt. Went to a different area from first day. FFIL got a doe at about 10:30 and as soon as he got back to his spot from retrieving her, a buck wandered by him; on three legs! He shot it and dropped it in its tracks. Another beautiful 8 point from the mountains. Turns out someone shot him in one of his shoulders and was jumping it as he was tracking it. The guy tried to claim it as his but my FFIL says: "No, that's my deer. I'm the one who made the shot count. He's mine." the guy was pretty upset but then he realized he only wounded him and walked off. Pic:

Last Friday (12/10)
Finally got one on Friday. Got her at about 3:20. I was with my future father-in-law and Paul (pictured at the top). We had just walked out of one set of woods and gotten into another when a couple of guys in an elevated blind told us we kicked some deer out and they circled back in. Since I hadn't gotten one yet, it was my call to go after them so I said "Why not?" I posted in the corner of a field that was against the woods the deer came out of. The two guys I was with went about 150 and 300 yards down the field to push the deer back towards me. It worked perfectly! The deer came up along the field edge about 10 yards into the woods. The lead doe came up right next to me at 10 yards and didn't even see me. I pulled the gun up and fired. I managed to screw it up and hit her low; as she was going down a hill in another field, all I could see was her backside and snow flyin all around. I shattered both shoulders. Ugh...I go after her and she kept getting up and moving.I shot at her again but she hopped away as I fired and missed. I finally got close to her and she wasn't getting up anymore. Sent one to her head and, just as I did, she flopped it around and I misses again. I collected myself for a couple minutes and finally sent one at her head that connected. I'm a bit ashamed of myself for screwing up the initial shot but what matters is she did not suffer long and she'll make for some good dinners. Pic:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2010, 07:29 PM

Great pics, great deer, great hunts, and a great book!!!!!!
Old 12-12-2010, 08:26 PM
B&C 100 Class

Thanks Timber. I felt awful that I made such a terrible first shot that it wounder her the way it did. I could blame it on not hunting for 3 years, maybe my gun was off after a little debacle dragging the buck out on Saturday. Maybe I was that excited to finally have a shot on a deer. I don't really know, but I'll be checking the gun in the spring, I'll be doing some more practicing at different ranges from different positions...I don't know but I hope to never do that to a deer again.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberghost View Post
Great pics, great deer, great hunts, and a great book!!!!!!
I second what he said

Old 12-18-2010, 06:26 AM

Very cool. Great pics and great story on each one. Congrats on finding a girl whose dad has access to a good looking hunting camp! Those perks make it better.

She cant fuse at you for going to hang out with her dad. Plus she was raised with her dad always hunting she will most likely understand your desire to be in the woods!!
Old 12-18-2010, 01:54 PM

congrats to all in the family. Great camp experience!
Old 12-18-2010, 10:55 PM
B&C 100 Class

Buckfever, I know she won't ever fuss at me for going hunting. As for the money I spend on it, that's another story. In the end, she bought the rifle that I used on the doe. I had another rifle but after some issues with one part of my family, I was left without any firearms. That's a different story for a different day. I'm happy with the equipment I have, I'm happy with the people I hunt with and I really couldn't ask for more in my first year back in the woods or from life in general!
Old 12-19-2010, 07:02 AM

All pluses all around.. Looks like she will buy you hunting gifts for Christmas and other occasions seeing how she already bought you a rifle.. Thats much better than getting socks and underwear with the occasional ugly tie or sweater for Christmas!!

Congrats on your first year back in the woods..
Old 12-20-2010, 07:04 PM
B&C 160 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by titus2423 View Post
Buckfever, I know she won't ever fuss at me for going hunting. As for the money I spend on it, that's another story. In the end, she bought the rifle that I used on the doe. I had another rifle but after some issues with one part of my family, I was left without any firearms. That's a different story for a different day. I'm happy with the equipment I have, I'm happy with the people I hunt with and I really couldn't ask for more in my first year back in the woods or from life in general!
Think of all the money your saving with the free meat
Nice pics and story
Old 12-20-2010, 07:09 PM
B&C 100 Class

Thumbs up

AWESOME STORY, IT WAS ENTERTAINING