Attention to detail - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:28 AM
Scrub Buck

Default Attention to detail

Nothing can be more frustrating than pulling the trigger and hearing a loud and thunderous "CLICK" echo through the holler.

The Saturday after Thanksgiving my friend and I decided to hunt out at my place. We heard shots ringing through the countryside periodically for two or three hours after sunrise. As we sat anxiously awaiting our next wall hanger to walk by in front of us, we texted back and forth to see what was moving. Nothing. No does, no scrub bucks, no squirrels even. Finally, a 5 point buck with a big body walks right under my stand. I was so excited just to see something I already began to shake. I raised the rifle looked through the scope, all I could see was body. It was so close I could have stabbed it, but it still didnt see me. Quietly I pulled the hammer back and squeezed the trigger....CLICK! I was busted! That stupid thing looked up and laughed as it jumped through the woods before I could get the safe off and get another chance. That will really frustrate a man! I just chalked it up to inexperience and all I can do about it is laugh now. Lesson learned: before you pull the trigger on a deer make sure the safety is not on!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2010, 09:15 AM
B&C 180 Class

how come your trigger clicks when you pull it w/the safety on? I've never fired a gun that does this. My trigger locks in place w/the safety on? is yours a bolt action?
Old 12-06-2010, 10:15 AM

Tator I agree mine is just very hard to pull LOL
Old 12-06-2010, 09:05 PM
B&C 100 Class

he said he pulled the hammer back. its either a double barrel shotgun, a lever gun, or an exposed hammer muzzel loader. we can probably rule out double barrel, seeing how he said scope, and thats not all that common to put a scope on that type of shotgun. so we're stuck with 2 still, most muzzle loaders i know that have exposed hammers dont have an additional safety. its either cocked, or not. so im guessing its a levergun, probably of the .30-30 persuasion. and i know that my wifes levergun(marlin 336C in .35rem) will do the exact same thing. or its a handgun, its all debateable.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:32 PM

That's a loud click from a safety!
Old 12-07-2010, 05:32 AM

I have done a similiar thing for all that know Ruger bolt actions have a 3 position safety setting one locks trigger & bolt 2 locks the trigger you can still move the bolt 3 gun can fire
I can't count the times in the first couple years I had the gun I only moved it one click
now I push till it won't move any further
Old 12-07-2010, 05:54 AM
B&C 160 Class

I hunted with a 303 enfield that would do that. It had two settings for the safety, the field safety would allow it to click but not fire. I remeber it cost me a big eight point long ago.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:42 AM
Scrub Buck

This was a .30-30 lever action rifle. Normally, I load the round then ease the hammer back up nearly all the way. This particular morning, I decided to put the saftey on.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:07 AM
B&C 180 Class

ahhh... I see! Thanks for the clarification!
Old 12-07-2010, 09:22 AM
B&C 140 Class

my sons rossi is a single shot 243 break over barrle and the safety on it is a hammer lock wich still allows you to cock the hammer back and pull the trigger to fire but the safety will not allow the hammer to reach the fireing pin by about 3/32's of an inch, wich in turn would leave you with a loud click and your heart in your stomach after you realized what you did.