Buck in the back yard - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:46 AM
B&C 120 Class

Default Buck in the back yard

Satruday was opening day of gun season here in New York, Also marking the end of Archery season and the first year in the past five I have not harvested a deer with my bow. The only deer I saw saturday was a doe and not having a doe tag had to let her walk by. Sunday morning I woke up to get stoke the fire, looked out back and saw a nice buck in the dim light. As it got bright the nice buck turned into a very nice buck. I woke my wife and brother up so they could see him. He slowly worked his way across my yard and around my house following a big doe. He was a gorgeous 9 point, one of the biggest wild bucks I have seen. There was that temptation to shoot him, it was close to legal shooting time with plenty of light...

End of the story was I let him walk and filed it away as a nice memory. The only bucks I have harvested were 3 pointers. I didn't want my first big buck to be shot from the house, that just dosen't satisfy the hunter within me. Maybe I'll run into him in the woods if he lives though the week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2010, 12:05 PM
B&C 180 Class

wow, that would be hard for me to do! now granted, i live out in the country, so it may be a little different... my back yard is about 30+ acres!
Old 11-26-2010, 08:42 PM
B&C 140 Class

Your story reminds me of a "story" told by one of the game wardens here in the county. On the edge of town, there lives an 80+ year old grandmother. Her property sits just outside the city limits so she's not bound by any of the city regulations concerning the discharge of a firearm. To make a long story short, there's a nice pasture out of her bathroom window so during hunting season she's "taking care of business" while taking care of business. I'll let y'all figure it out.