Man im pumped - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 11-22-2010, 12:26 AM
B&C 160 Class

Default Man im pumped

in case anyone remembers how exited i was last year to have found a spot with more deer sighn than i had ever seen in one place, only to find out 1/2 way though the season that it had been over run by coyote. Ronn came down and helped me scout a nice back up place. we found some good sighn, but nuthing to make us jump up and down. i only got a few chances to hunt after that, but finnershed the season were me and Ronn had scouted. then after deer season ended i went back to my old spot to chase the coyote off, and kill em if i could. sucsedded in getting rid of them without ever fireing a shot at them, but in doing so got in the good graces of the land owner. any way i never got the chance to take down my stand, wich worked out perfect for me only finding out last sunday that i might actuly get a chance to hunt some this season. any way last sunday i got to spend a few hrs in the woods and had a doe under my stand for 10 min in that last 1/2 hr your alowed to hunt for the day. much to my surprize my boss told me if i wanted this weekend off that i could have it. he knew how much i wanted to hunt, pluss today was my sons 8th birthday. anywayi got out in the woods yesterday for a few hr pm hunt. saw nothing but squrils. then this am, again nothing but squirls. iv been usedto this, usualy in NH you only get to see maybee one or 2 deer per season. and thats if you have dont your scouting, and can spend some real time hunting, nether of wich were options this year. but desided to go have a look at that place me and ronn had scouted last year. no sighn what so ever, so i descided to stick with were i had seen the doe last sun. i got out into the woods a little later than i had wanted. i settled into my stand 1 hr before sndown, hopfull that mabee the doe would come back, this time with a buck folowing her, but not expecting it. not long after setleing in i let a few doe bleats go with "the can". after that i kept hearing noises off in the distance to far off to see. you know the kind, "is it a deer, or just a squril" any way with that last 1/2hr that give you they started getting closer, and closer. with only a few minits left of leagle light thet were withing 75 or 80 yards. they finaly got to me 2 minits too late to shoot. she was back, but not with a buck chaseing her like i had hoped. at that moment the woods got so loud i could have driven my jacked up bronco though the woods and made less noise. this was because she did not have "a" buck chasing her like i had hoped for........ she had no less that 5 of them chasing her agound in circles near my stand. i had to/ got to sitt there for about 15 minits watching the shadows chase her around in the dark. one of them was big, real big. any way i think she put the slip on them. that means in 4 short trips into the woods this season i have seen more deer than i normaly do in 3 or 4 seasons. ill be going back on thanksgiving day, and talking with the land owner to see if they mind if i set up several stands on there land. without the coyote this spot would have been good two years running now. and my bro in law shott one less than a 1/2 mile away from there the year before. i think i have found my "hony hole."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2010, 10:17 AM

Very sweet.. Hopefully they are still chasing does around this Thanksgiving morning.. We all need a honey hole somewhere..
Old 11-22-2010, 12:17 PM
B&C 180 Class

sounds like you have a good doe to buck ratio going huntnh! how's the new job going for you? that's awesome you got off work for your son's b-day and a little huntin'. Sounds like you have a kind-hearted boss!
Old 11-22-2010, 02:24 PM
B&C 160 Class

ya good buck to doe ratio there, in all my years i have neer seen anything like it in NH. ya the boss seems cool and i like the job. verry chalaging but good.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:51 AM
B&C 180 Class

Well that's good for you though... gives you something to look forward to. Plus if you ever do get laid off (God forbid) look at all the experience you have now! So actually, learning this more difficult work is a blessing... but I'm sure you know that! Good luck w/your hunting and your job!