Huntin' weekend... - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:07 AM
B&C 180 Class

Default Huntin' weekend...

Well folks, this past weekend was open season for rifle here in Missouri. Not much moving around. Saturday morning I got a nice doe, and Saturday night got a button buck (that I thought was a doe). On Saturday, SUnday and Monday I seen the same young 8 point, but decided to let him grow a little more. I have to admit, I like the big racks, and they don't come around that often where I hunt. So I'm doing my part. The monster 9 pt is still alive as far as I know. Didn't hear alot of shooting on my neighbors' places. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed. The deer are still moving alot at night. Temp isn't getting cold enough during the day.. in fact it's been in the mid to uppper 50's everyday this weekend. I wish that temp would bottom out a little bit...

Good luck to everyone!
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2010, 12:50 PM
B&C 160 Class

congrats on the freezer fillers,always easier to sit with a couple in the box
Old 11-16-2010, 02:43 PM

Yes sir. Hope you get that big 9 before your neighbor does. 2 does on one weekend is not a bad weekend in the woods.

We open up to rifle this Sat in TN. Going to be going with my bro in law on his place that morning. Lets hope the deer move by each of us this weekend.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:47 AM
B&C 100 Class

Good luck on that big 9.
Just keep on willing him in hopefully it works and he come by and gives you a nice shot
Old 11-21-2010, 06:43 PM

Anybody have any luck this past weekend.

I had a small 3 pointer walk by and that was it. Me and the brother in law both where waiting on a decent buck or some does to walk by. He seen 2 does in front of him but never had a shot present itself to him.

Way to warm this weekend. Its suppose to cool down by Thanksgiving but I will be working most of that time.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:04 PM
B&C 180 Class

Hello again all, well this past weekend was the 2nd (and last) weekend in Missouri for rifle season. Got me another doe saturday morning. Funny story, I saw her behind a tree at about 100 yds away, and took a shot when she came out, well the shot felt good, but then I saw a doe running away about 10 yds from where I shot this doe, then this "new" doe started running right at me till she got about 40 yds away then she bolted to my right and I took another shot, missed. Then the doe ran away from me but stopped before jumping into the woods- i took another shot, missed. BOY WAS I bummed out. I was kicking myself for missing the same doe 3 times. I couldn't believe it. Well from where I was sitting I was gonig to leave by backing out, but I decided to do some stalking in the woods (in front of me), so I got up and was to the woods line, and right before I was going to cross the fence, I looked down and there was blood on the ground. So then I started wondering, what the heck?!?! So then I look on the other side of the fence (the woods side) and there she lay. There had been 2 does, and I only saw ONE! That put a big smile on my face! Strange how deer can play tricks on a hunter's mind! I'm just glad I decided to go walk-n-stalk because if I hadn't the coyotes would've been eating good for a couple days..

This makes 4 deer on the season for me... 2 does, 1 10-pt buck, and 1 button buck (don't ask). Dehydrating some jerky as I type! MMMMMM!!! Donated 1 doe and the buck b/c I don't need that much meat. Figured I'd give it to some needy families.

buckfever--- I know what you mean by warm! Here in Missouri, saturday was in the upper 50's and sunday was in the upper 60's and I think it even hit 70. Today (monday) it's at least 70 outside right now. BUT, get this, thursday (thanksgiving day) which just do happens to be 2 days after the main rifle season ends, it's supposed to be a high of 35 and low in the upper teens! Missouri has a saying that some of you guys and gals may never have heard of "IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE WEATHER TODAY, JUST WAIT TILL TOMORROW!" Because it could be 75 and sunny one day and 30 and snowing the next,, no lie, that happened last spring..

Last edited by tator; 11-22-2010 at 12:18 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:15 PM

Yes that weather is gonna do an about face here as well. After a rain comes in it cools off to about those same temps for us on Fri and Sat.

So are you done hunting for the season? What types of seasons are left if rifle ends this this Thursday?
Old 11-23-2010, 09:29 AM
B&C 140 Class

i don't know how i would survive with such a short gun season. i am a hunting nut, starting to get the shakes and not sleeping well now, getting ready for this weekend. lol sounds like you made it a productive season.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:46 AM
B&C 180 Class

Well in Missouri we have,,,

Bow season: Sept 15-Nov 12
Rifle season: Nov 13-23
Doe Rifle season: Nov 24-Dec 5
Bow season: Nov 24- Jan 15
Muzzleloader: Dec 18-28
Youth hunts: Oct 30-31 & Jan 1-2

Right now I'm debating whether or not to continue doe hunting w/my rifle, or put that down and take up my bow again and try to get another big boy. Decisions, decisions....

Oh and by the way, YESTERDAY when I last posted on this post, it was 73 degrees in the morning. Last night before dark, it had dropped down into the mid 40's. Last night it froze, and this morning it's in the low 40's. MISSOURI weather!

Last edited by tator; 11-23-2010 at 09:48 AM.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:06 AM
B&C 140 Class

oh, well heck y'all have a pretty good season length. About like ours.