Mom's first time out! - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:51 AM
Scrub Buck

Default Mom's first time out!

Hey all! I am a 40 year mom with Four BOYS! My husband strongly dislikes hunting. I think it has to do with the blood thing. LOL! Anyway TWO of my Boys want to hunt. I want them to be able to so we've done the hunters safety and have our licenses now I would love to glean any info tips whatever I can from you pros! I have found some trails the deer take regularly. We have a stand up too...although only two of us can be in the stand. This will be my first time out with the boys. Any tips whatsoever would be helpful. Even the ones you might consider a no brainer. Thanks ever so much! Happy Hunting!
Judeaboo
P.S.
Hubby does have his license too but, isn't into it at all and I really want the boys to be successful!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2010, 10:17 AM
Scrub Buck

My biggest concerns are
1. My kids get a buck
2. I get a buck
3. Scent Elimination
4. Proper Field Dressing
5. Lack for field cams and other fancy equipment.
Thanks again for your advice
Old 11-15-2010, 01:08 PM
B&C 160 Class

senct emilmination products. i bought into all that crap on the market you years. all you gota do is keep the wind in your face and youll be ok.
field dressing. i know there is a link on hear some were that shows you step by step how to do it. little piece of advice from me. Unless you got a wicked strong tolerance to bad smells making you gag, i would get some of them little foam ear plugs and stick em up your nose before you start cutting. Fancy equiptment. yes it all helps but you dont need it. asking questins on hear will help you much more that fancy equiptment, cause when it comes down to it all you need to kill a deer is a gun, or bow. game cameras dont kill them for you. all they do is tell you when they were there. and good scouting can for the most part tell you that. it just dont have a time and date stamp on it like the pics. telling us a little more about were you are hunting can hlep us help you. what state? public or privet land? do you see other trucks parked on the side of the road were you are hunting? field at woods? flat teraine or hills? stuff like this.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:31 PM

Scent elimination is priority one, You can often fool a deers eyes or his ears but you won't fool his nose...
I'm hooked on all the products from the wildlife research center
most women use numerous products in their hair, be sure you use scent killer shampoo in your hair as well as the other necessary scent elimination products from Wildlife Research. Nothing is guaranteed to get you your buck but de-scenting will get you that much closer to success.
Next you want to focus on your movements, while you're on stand you want to move as little as possible I always say move your eyes before you move your head...

If you have any specific questions/concerns don't hesitate to ask...

Good Luck to you and your sons.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:59 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt NH View Post
senct emilmination products. i bought into all that crap on the market you years. all you gota do is keep the wind in your face and youll be ok.
You really think its just a bunch of crap/waste of money? How are you going to control where the deer comes from?

I personally spray all my clothes, bottom of my boots and even my bow down with Scent Killer. And I'd have to say it works pretty darn good.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:33 PM

Scent elimination products work, period! Watching the wind is very important. Have a few stand locations that allow you to keep the wind from blowing your scent over the area you are hunting. Keep your movements while on stand to a very minimum. Good shot placement is vital and should be just behind the front shoulder about 1/3 the way up the deer, this will be a double lung shot and very lethal. Field dressing would be tough to describe here in detail but is no different than any other animal. Don't hit the stomach with the knife by going to deep and don't puncture the bladder spilling the urine on good meat. Otherwise, just get everything from the insides out. In warm weather the windpipe will rot quickly so you may need to get it out or butcher the deer fairly quickly. If you have specific questions we'll do our best to answer. Good luck and congrats on hunting with the boys!
Old 11-15-2010, 05:00 PM
B&C 160 Class

glad to have new hunters.about the only thing id like to add is to make sure you get to your stand 1/2 hr bfore 1st light.field dressing is no big deal to me a squirrel smells worse than a deer.good luck &welcome
Old 11-15-2010, 05:04 PM
B&C 160 Class

I think your taking your boys in the right direction getting them on the stand.. they will love it forever
Always wash your cloths in hunting detergent & shower with hunting soap.
If a deer is looking at you up in the stand dont move he wont know what you are
I always try to hit them just left of the front leg
Old 11-16-2010, 12:45 AM
B&C 160 Class

i never sead that the products dont help, or that i dont use some of them. or that disrespecting a deers nose wont get you bussted eery time. i just stated that i dont buy into all the hype. this new product, that new product, dont even go into the woods unless you just showerd with scent free soap, dryed off using a towel that was washed in scent free deturgent, washed your $400 scent lok sute in the same scent free deturgant, and make sure to dry it real good so you activate the carbon. touched nothing on the way to your hunting spot, then sprayed down with your bottle of the newist and "best" scent killer spray, used a cover scen, and a scen lure. pluss "you gotta hace atlest 3 dozen different deer calls" at the same time. oh and atlest 3 to 4 of the tinks scen bomb wicks, doused in tinks 69, or special golden esterous ect ect. iv played that game and it did not work, and i have also gone into the woods doing little/spending little, kepped the wind in my face and seen and shot deer. thats all im saying.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:01 AM

earlier post seemed to slam the products. It's all about what works for an individual and stick to it. I may be a bit extreme on the scent stuff and as another hunting trip has passed I wasn't busted with deer 10 yds away. Way too many years have gone by and not getting busted has to be attributed to more than luck.