The Loss - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:27 PM
Scrub Buck

Default The Loss

Hay Deer hunters,

You know what makes me sick is the lost deer.
I hit a good buck with my bow yesterday, and hit it good. I hunted for 4 Hrs tracking the blood trail. and it justed stoped.

Went back and walked the woods back and forth and there was just no deer to be found. There was good blood a good hit. It makes me want to stop hunting with a bow.

Any one have any good tracking info.

VanWinkle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2010, 09:06 PM
B&C 100 Class

Um... we shot one and the blood trail just stopped after following it for 7 1/2 hours... Um, maybe find the hoofprints by the blood and follow them and hope that there they're the right tracks. That sucks that you lost him, we almost gave up on ours and it was making me sick. Hope this helps.

P.S: If you're alone just mark the last sign of blood with one of those orange things to mark trails if you're not alone have your partner stand by the last blood.

Last edited by buckblaster; 11-12-2010 at 09:09 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:53 PM
Scrub Buck

I could not find any blood . He had went into a hay feild and then I lost him. I checked the edges of the feild with no luck. I haave to work 12 hrs. per day for the next 4 days and they are calling for rain. So any blood will be gone.

Thanks for the info.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:27 AM
B&C 160 Class

it happens as long as you made an ethical effort to find the animal and it sounds like you did.your an ethical hunter your supposed to feel bad but it happens dont beat yourself up over it.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:27 PM

There is a saying "If you hunt long enough something bad will happen" I've been there and know it's a really bad feeling. All we can do as hunters is practice, do our utmost to take an ethical shot, and then spend all the time necessary to recover the game. Sometimes even with our best efforts a game animal is lost. Best advice is: just get back in the saddle.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:14 AM

It has happened to all of us but as long as you can say that you gave it your all in trying to recover the animal that's all you can ask for. Sometimes they're right out in the open, sometimes they're in a tangle of the worst mess you could ever see. Like I said as long as you made the effort.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:14 AM
B&C 180 Class

It is my experience that deer hide well, especially when hit. If I were you, I would do circles around the spot where you last saw blood. keep doing small circles around and around and get bigger as you go. I once shot a doe and looked for 3 hours for her, and she was just so well hiden on a bank of a creek that I didn't see her. Plus you have to remember the grass/hay is thick, sometimes they can get down low in that stuff man. Good luck