feeder question - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:43 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default feeder question

I've never baited deer. Here in Kansas it is legal so I was going o try. Question is this. the feeder i will use is a bucket with a stick in it ( Remington model# ss-50n) Hanging feeder kit, to control the feed falling out. Guess the deer need to figure out to push on the stick to make it work. How high should I hang it and should I place extra feed or attractant on the ground to bring deer to it. Also season opens dec 1. when should I put it out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2010, 07:15 PM
B&C 100 Class

i use something like that i hang the feeder and put more corn on the ground they will figure it out pretty quick and if legal just let the feeder their
Old 11-07-2010, 07:40 PM
B&C 100 Class

put some attractant out to help the deer find the feeder. put it out as soon as possible
Old 11-08-2010, 08:54 AM
B&C 180 Class

yeah I would go ahead and put it out, hang it about 5/6 foot off the ground (so that a deer can hit that stick on the bucket with it's head) and then put a small amount of corn (maybe a pound) on the ground below it. The deer will smell the corn in the feeder and they'll figure it out. I would also place a trail camera by this as you'll probably get some good pics...
Old 11-08-2010, 01:37 PM
B&C 100 Class

i hung mine about 5 feet off the ground. i also put some corn on the ground under it. not a lot just enought that it could be eaten rapidly and they would have to resort to the bucket for more. hope this helps and best of luck.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:12 PM
B&C 100 Class

I am thinking of putting a gallon or so of c'mere deer under the feeder. Thoughts
Old 11-11-2010, 09:21 AM
B&C 180 Class

That might be a little much if you are wanting the deer to eat the corn... you might mix in corn w/the c'mere deer, but it's been my experience that if you put corn out, coons will find it FIRST and deer are a close second. Especially this time of year,, they love corn. Wish I could put some out, but in MISSOURI we can't bait.
PLUS- the good thing about the feeder you have is that the coons can't get it...