New Hunter Question - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:37 PM
Scrub Buck

Default New Hunter Question

I'm looking to become a hunter for the next season, and spend the year up until that preparing. I'm trying to decide what gun to use. I own two firearms that seem suitable for the job, an MN91/30 in very good shape that shoots wonderfully or a Mossberg 500 shotgun with a 19 inch cyl bore barrel. I have three options to choose from with those guns.
  1. Mossberg 500 using the cyl bore barrel I own. Shoot rifled slugs
  2. Mossberg 500 and purchase a rifled slug barrel to shoot sabot slugs
  3. Mosin Nagant, as is.

Where I will hunt all shots will be within 100 yards, more likely within 60 yards. I live in Virginia, so rifles are an option. Out of those, the Mossberg is the most conventional choice. I intend to slip over to the range once a week and shoot a small box of ammo to become as good a shooter as I'm capable before I try to take game.

I have one worry with the Mossberg and that is recoil. I worry that I'm going to get discouraged and not practice like I should with that shotgun hammering my shoulder into mush.

When comparing the Rifled slugs to new production non-corrosive JSP 7.62x54R, the slugs are actually cheaper to shoot. I want to practice with the same load I intend to hunt with.

So, what is your all's opinion? The American scattergun or the Russian boat oar?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2010, 12:45 AM
B&C 160 Class

bolth will do the job. out of the 2 you have, and given the fact that you say the shots will not be any longer. i would say go with the mossburge. if that range you gave is due to lack of faith in your shot, not deturmaned by terain, i would say get some optics and a longer barrel. then the mossburge will be able to reach out a little ferther. reason i say this is because i personaly have 2 hunting rifles. one is a .270 WSM with a 3x-9x scope on it, and a mossberg 500 with a 1.5x-5xby32mm and a 26" aftermarkit smooth boar barrle. Any time im not hunting in a location were shots over 100 yards are likley i prefure to bring the 500. pluss there are locations were there is shotgun only so its nice to have the 500 well equiped for hunting. hope that helps.
oh and just incase you were wondering about the 100 yard thing. the way my 500 is set up, just because i take the .270 were i know that long shots are likely dont mean that i dont trust my 500 (the way its set up, not stock) to reach out past the 100 yard mark if need be, or that i would pass up a good clear shot at say 150yards. im just saying at that range the .270 would be better.

Last edited by hunt NH; 11-04-2010 at 12:49 AM.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:36 PM
B&C 140 Class

the Russian boat oar?

Have never tried hunting with a shotgun but do have a good experience or two with the aforementioned MN. Have a 20 round box of 7.62x54 in the house with two empty slots in it. Two empty slots = two deer in the freezer. Enough said.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:40 PM
B&C 100 Class

You could also look into getting a Muzzleloader. You can get a CVA Wolf for right at 200.00 if not less. The muzzleloaders that are being made nowadays are just as reliable and accurate as a shotgun with nowhere near the recoil of a 12 ga., and they are fun to shoot.

I use my Muzzleloader all thru the shotgun season here in Indiana as well as Muzzleloader season