euro mount - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:16 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default euro mount

Hey guys, haven't been on in a while, I got a nice nine point this weekend, since money's pretty tight I'm going to try and do a euro mount myself. has anyone done this? if so any tips would be very helpful.

Thanks

The New guy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2010, 09:04 AM

Congrats on your big boy harvest. Euro mounts are awesome looking ways to display a deer. I'm not too sure about the total process but I believe that you'll need the whole head minus the lower jaw and to remove all skin, meat, brain matter and all that good stuff you'll need to boil the whole head area and pick away any excess. Then bleach the skull so it is a bright white. I'm not sure about the entire process but I think that I may be quite close. There is a great post somewhere on this site on mounts. Let me look for it and I'll post some here for you.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:11 AM
B&C 180 Class

timberghost is right, doing all that will definately work. I used bleach on just a antler mount (with skull still attached at bases of the antlers) and it bleached the skull BRIGHT white. At first, it doesn't look that white (after you've let it sit in bleach for 24 hrs) but the next day I checked on it (after it had dried) and it was as white as white can get. Boiling the skull will be the trickiest task.... I recommend boiling outside if you can... i got an old hot plate and did mine outside. You need to boil it for AT LEAST an hour... I took mine out every 15 min or so and picked skin, meat, ect... off of it each time. Good luck!
Old 11-03-2010, 10:01 PM
B&C 100 Class

I am Boiling now. I have been told to use peroxide and not bleach because bleach will weaken the bones.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:30 AM
B&C 180 Class

I used bleach, and it worked fine for me... still is hanging on the wall. Using peroxide is ok too, but you have use the strong kind (i've been told). Like what they use at hair salons or hot tub retalers. Regular peroxide won't make it completely white....
Old 11-04-2010, 05:30 PM
B&C 100 Class

i got some books on tanning hide and euro mounts and in the book they say to boil skull in water and sal soda then put it in peroxide the same kind you use on cuts the trick is put the skull and peroxide in a large clear plastic bag and set it in the sun for a day or two then it will be white this does work i have done alot of skulls just don't get it on the horns or they will turn white good luck
Old 11-04-2010, 10:57 PM
B&C 100 Class

Got him clean gonna work on bleaching him this weekend.
posting a pic in the gallery.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:21 AM
B&C 100 Class

sounds good, if I shoot one with a decent rack Imma have to do the euro mount too. When I found a 170" non typical skull in the woods it was already pre-cleaned by the natural biological process from sitting in the woods for months...so all I did was paint the skull and put it on a plaque and then on my wall.

Here's a crappy cell phone pic of the wall mount of the skull.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG0225.jpg (92.0 KB, 21 views)
Old 11-08-2010, 12:54 PM
B&C 100 Class

Cleaned it the best I could, getting as much meat and brain and hide removed as I could.

Boiled outside (don't do it indoors, unless your wife is reallllllly understanding) for at least an hour. It is not a pleasant smell.
As it boiled, I removed more meat that loosened. Used a thick leather welders glove to hold the skull, since it was hot.

You can do the lower jaw if you want. It won't stay attached, but you can wire it in after the cleaning process. Or a dab of epoxy.

A buddy of mine sticks his in the dirt and covers with chicken wire, so critters and dogs don't haul it away. The ants, worms and bugs clean his all winter. Then rinse it clean in the spring and bleach.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:46 PM
B&C 100 Class

Finished this evening. Sorry the first one is a bit fuzzy. the second was in my garage. What do you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg walter on the wall.jpg (60.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Walter finaly done.jpg (51.4 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by the new guy; 11-27-2010 at 07:48 PM.