Hunting on the ground - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 11-02-2010, 04:34 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default Hunting on the ground

OK I am new to kansas from Louisiana been on here a few times recently but have another Kansas Hunting question. I have always hunted on the ground but it has always been in woodlands not many open areas where i'm from. Here the WIHA i am going to hunt has mostly open fields with a small wooded area so I am going to need to hunt the field to be successful (I Think). Lets just say I don't like heights ( no Southern man is AFRAID of anything). I am concerned about being seen or sniffed out on the ground so I bought this link below ground blind. Are these things of any real use here or have I wasted my money?

Comfort Zone Predator Hunting Blind - Dick's Sporting Goods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2010, 04:42 PM

You can hunt from the ground and be just as sucessful as any other hunting method. Just from the ground you cant see through things as good as you can see above them in a tree. Pay attention to the wind direction and cover your scent really well and you ought to be in good shape. For me blinds have scared deer away more than when I'm tucked away in good cover. If they just see a blind for the first time without either being used to seeing it there or having it brushed in and a part of the woods they will usually spook quickly so cover well.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:06 PM
B&C 100 Class

so that brings another question. I have never even made an effort to "cover my scent" do you mean buying some of that spry stuff. Man hunting in the marsh of louisiana is much easier stand by a tree smoke a cigarette and shoot when they walk out.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:53 PM

Yeah any type of cover scent scent elimination stuff works good but don't rely on it fully. Using the wind direction is the best bet. Around here I take any pine tree branches and squish, break, and crush the needles and twigs to make a killer scent cover. It works awesome everytime even if pines are not native to the area you are hunting.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:05 AM
B&C 180 Class

whodat: you need to shower/bathe in scent free body wash/soap too before you hunt. Also it doesn't hurt to wash your hunting clothing in scent free soap. Just remember when you are hunting on the ground you are on the same level as the deer, so if you stink, they will more a little more likely to smell it faster than if you were up in a tree. either way, you don't want to get smelled (is that a word?).
That blind you got looks like a good one, but i'm with timberghost, make sure you brush it in, make it look like it belongs there. If you don't have alot of branches to cut down to brush it in, you may want to set the blind up 1-2 weeks early before you even hunt in it. that way the deer get used to it.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:11 PM
B&C 100 Class

yeah cant set it up early I am hunting on a WIHA
Old 11-03-2010, 07:24 PM
B&C 160 Class

I see a lot of deer hunting on the ground
But i don't smoke cigarettes out there
I use my stand umbrella to cover my feet and lean back on a tree
I have good hunts like that deer come up almost to close
I all ways use cover sent and shower before i walk in the woods
Old 11-03-2010, 07:36 PM
B&C 140 Class

You're not going to want that ground blind in the link, the windows are WAY to small. Get one with nice big windows, but when you sit in it leave the one behind you closed.

Stands like these are what I use, with the rail going around. I think it would be pretty hard to fall out...unless you were standing up, but you just have to watch where you're stepping. - http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunting/Hunting-Treestands/Ladder-Treestands|/pc/104791680/c/104783580/sc/104271480/Big-Game-The-Avenger-DX-17-Ladderstand/1096831.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fhunt ing-hunting-treestands-ladder-treestands%2F_%2FN-1100103%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104271480
Old 11-03-2010, 09:09 PM
B&C 100 Class

problem isnt really a fear of fallin it is finding a stand that is portable I hunt public and WIHA in kansas and cant leave stands in the areas. I weigh almost 400 pounds the ladder and climbing stands arent sturdy enough fo my weight
Old 11-04-2010, 06:33 AM
B&C 160 Class

I use to have a small fold up turkey screen it was about 8 ft long and 2ft high
I would stick it in the ground around me ..it folds up small and the deer dont think any thing about it in the woods ..Just sit still