Using Google Maps to keep track of deer harvest locations - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:21 PM
Scrub Buck

Default Using Google Maps to keep track of deer harvest locations

As the years go by I have more and more trouble remembering all the locations where I have harvested deer. Remembering these locations is an important part of planning my hunt each year. Being a big fan of Google Maps, which has map view and satellite view, I began looking for a place online where I could mark on a map these locations so I would have a reference point. Not finding anything I decided to pull together a website with this function. I am no webmaster so this site is very basic and crude, but it does the job and I think the idea has potential. I am looking for feedback from others to see what they think. The page is deermaps.com.
Thanks,
Nate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2010, 02:14 PM
B&C 100 Class

this is a good idea we printed a map of our land lease and marked all the treestands so new members can see were everything is we use google maps alot im going to check out this deermaps and let you know what i think it sounds cool
Old 11-01-2010, 09:45 PM
B&C 100 Class

I have the Droid2 from Verizon Wireless, There is an application called My Tracks that I use. It allows you to record where you go via GPS/Satellite. It allows you to flag locations, ie., trails, stand locations, ect. I have used the crap out of it this year and it is very helpfull. Not sure but I would assume that some of the other "smartphones" have this app as well.

It also allows you to pull up your recorded tracks and then shows ur location in relation to your tracking.

Definitely recommend it for any of you who might have a Droid.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:14 PM
B&C 100 Class

so i checked out your deermaps .com thats pretty cool but one probelm i have is if anyone can mark the map people will know each others hot spots i marked a few spots because its posted land that i lease and some are privite clubs
Old 11-05-2010, 09:14 AM
B&C 180 Class

I marked 3 spots but they are not showing up on the the map at the bottom of the webpage.... good idea though!
Old 11-05-2010, 02:13 PM
Scrub Buck

Have you checked out ScoutLookWeather.com? It gives all of the weather data needed for hunting, also a cool feature called ScentCone which lets you plot your tree stands to see how the wind will carry your scent.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:17 PM
Scrub Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by su106 View Post
so i checked out your deermaps .com thats pretty cool but one probelm i have is if anyone can mark the map people will know each others hot spots i marked a few spots because its posted land that i lease and some are privite clubs
su106,
Thanks for checking out the site. I agree with your concern about inadvertantly sharing hot spots. Ideally there should be public "pins" in the Google map interface and then "private" pins that can only be seen when someone logs in to their account.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:22 PM
Scrub Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe7137 View Post
I have the Droid2 from Verizon Wireless, There is an application called My Tracks that I use. It allows you to record where you go via GPS/Satellite. It allows you to flag locations, ie., trails, stand locations, ect. I have used the crap out of it this year and it is very helpfull. Not sure but I would assume that some of the other "smartphones" have this app as well.

It also allows you to pull up your recorded tracks and then shows ur location in relation to your tracking.

Definitely recommend it for any of you who might have a Droid.
Joe7137,
I have an android phone as well and will be trying out the My Tracks app. I like the idea of keeping these records and also having the ability to share it (certain places only) with others.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:25 PM
Scrub Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by tator View Post
I marked 3 spots but they are not showing up on the the map at the bottom of the webpage.... good idea though!
Tator,
Thanks for trying out the site. Sometimes it takes a while for the "pins" to show up on the bottom map. I believe the three "pins" you placed are now showing up on the webpage. If I can get this site refined a little one thing I will do is have the map update instantly.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:23 PM
B&C 180 Class

ok, sounds good,, thanks natehawk