No hunting dogs? - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 10-28-2010, 04:11 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default No hunting dogs?

I have a question to everyone who responded to the hunting deer with dogs thread. If it is inhumane and non sporting to hunt deer with dogs, what about bird dogs? Letting dogs point birds for us? What kind of sport is that? What, let a dog retrieve my duck or tree a coon? Where to we draw the line? Before you answer think wisely and don't be a hypocrite. If these questions start your blood boiling, don't answer until you have calmed down. I would like rational replies.
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2010, 06:18 PM
B&C 100 Class

like i said in my thread i don't like it and i will not hunt that way but if this is your thing happy hunting in north carolina we may bait for deer witch dont work because the dog have them that scared but i dont think you can bait birds last time i tried the dead goose wouldn't come in to bait thank god for my dog
Old 10-28-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guppy11 View Post
I have a question to everyone who responded to the hunting deer with dogs thread. If it is inhumane and non sporting to hunt deer with dogs, what about bird dogs? Letting dogs point birds for us? What kind of sport is that? What, let a dog retrieve my duck or tree a coon? Where to we draw the line? Before you answer think wisely and don't be a hypocrite. If these questions start your blood boiling, don't answer until you have calmed down. I would like rational replies.
If hunting with dogs is a legal option in any hunters area, then by all means have at it "if thats your cup of tea."

I, along with many other hunters understand the differences between a man, woman or youth hunting vs. having a dog doing their hunting for them the BIG difference is, without dogs, you have to do your homework and dress properly, scout your area, maintain scent control and do all the other things it takes to harvest deer, those are some of the more important things it takes to hunt without dogs
BUT if someone chooses to hunt with dogs, they can wear a Tuxedo, splash on several ounces of their favorite cologne/perfume, whistle Dixie into a tin can and wait for the dogs to chase the deer in for a shot, now I know it really isnt that simple but, my wild example points out the major differences for those who hunt deer and those who use dogs to hunt deer.

And let me say it again, if it's legal and that's how someone chooses to hunt then I'll defend their choice to do it all day long,
they have just as much right to hunt with dogs as others do who choose not to hunt with dogs.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:40 PM
B&C 100 Class

hunting over bait or using lure seem differant than using dogs to me, in that there is a difference between haiting quietly, scent free, over all stealthly vs. having a dog chase them to you.
As for using thim to track birds, well i have only bird hunted once and it really wasnt for me, but in that instance we had to sneek up on the birds...the birds were not chased to us.
As for using dogs to retrieve or track downed game, i am all for it. because you did all the work to tag the animal, the dog is just being used to track/retrieve.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:28 AM
B&C 180 Class

You also have to realize that bird, coon and deer hunting has been done for a LONG, LONG, LONG time. Hunting w/dogs has been done forever! Back in the old days, they used dogs b/c it helped them get a gauranteed MEAL for that day. Now days, most people don't go hunting for their daily meals, everyday.
Generally, w/coons you use traps and/or a dog to tree the coon because they are EXTREMELY active at night. As far as birds, they are small, and harder to see. Thus, the reason dogs point. In both situations, you have to have skill to make a shot on a SMALL animal. IN the case of deer hunting, I do disagree with hunting w/dogs, and in MISSOURI it is illegal, and VERY much so. Very hefty fines if caught doing it. Deer are larger, they come out during the day alot more than coons, and they are easier to see than birds (most of the time). I do not have a problem w/hunting w/dogs for coons or birds - but deer yes.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:39 PM
B&C 100 Class

tator i completly agree with you on that