What to do about dogs... - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 10-28-2010, 01:38 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default What to do about dogs...

I do not hunt with dogs nor do i like the concept. however, where i hunt using dogs is legal and the people on the lease next to my familys land uses dogs....and EVERY year i see the dogs chase deer across our property onto theirs. we have told them that this needs to stop and their reply is the dogs cant reconize property lines. any suggestions on how to handle this??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2010, 03:18 PM
B&C 120 Class

Well a friendly talk would be first and if that does not work maybe a call to your local EPO and let them handle the situation.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:14 PM
B&C 100 Class

Talk to the sheriff and game warden and see if they will help and what you can do legally. Some places it is legal to shoot dogs that are on your property.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:29 PM

many states have laws prohibiting dogs from running deer. While I do not condone shooting dogs, especially neighbor's domesticated dogs I would send a nice letter outlining your concerns and actions your neighbor needs to take to prevent their dogs from entering your property. On the next trespass incident take the letter to the local police and make a call to the DNR and file a complaint with them. Check local laws regarding the shooting of dogs and be very careful that you don't start a war that someone gets hurt over. I wouldn't be very happy with neighbor's dogs running deer on my property, I would find a legal process to stop it.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:48 PM
B&C 100 Class

I agree hunting man, i just know that in two different states I've had problems with dogs and livestock and the sheriffs said they will talk to the owners but if they don't keep their dogs off our property just shoot the dogs. So the law might not do anything, we ended up shooting the dogs.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:14 AM
B&C 180 Class

If I were you, I'd take a BEE-BEE gun w/me to the field and when the dogs come into range, pop them in the butt. That will get their mind off deer really quick. Most BEE-BEE guns won't break skin on dogs, but even if it does, it'll give them a reminder not to come back. Had the same problem w/dogs knocking over my trash cans and scattering trash all over my yard. after 2 trash days of popping them in the butt, they no longer do this.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:45 PM
B&C 100 Class

hmmm, a bb gun...that might not be a bad idea. because i dont want to kill a persons dog or any dog for that matter. but a bb gun just might be what i need to add to my hunting gear.