Disturbing roadkill - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:33 AM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by tator View Post
catman- next time, if you have a knife, pull over and offer to put the doe out of it's misery. you'd be surprised what officers will let you do... I would bet that he'd let you go ahead and end it for her. He might've even let you take it once the Conservation Dept was contacted...
Probably so, and in Tennessee you can take a deer that was road killed if you contact the TWRA first (I think so) and report it. It's in our hunting laws....not sure if it applies to deer you didn't hit with your car, but they'd probably not have a problem with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2010, 12:09 AM
B&C 140 Class

in Illinois, the person who hits the deer has full legal claim to it and if they don't want it they can transfer that ownership to anyone they want.
no tags are required to dispatch road hit animals and you do not have to report it.

however, you must keep a record (Subject to inspection on request) of the sex of the deer, the date and location of the incident until the entire animal has been consumed.
PSE 2006 FIRESTORM LITE #70
PSE 2009 TREESTAND GX #70
PSE 2010 1/2 AXE 6 #60
PSE 2011 EVO #70

The Devils Advocate

Revelation 22:17

Old 10-28-2010, 04:26 PM
B&C 100 Class

Awhile back we were talking about poaching and feeding our families and just about everyone said they wouldn't poach to feed their families because it was against the law. Now people are saying it is ok to break the law to end the suffering of an animal (I call this the" Disney effect"). I don't know about most people but i would break the law to end my children's hunger way before i would break the law to end an animals suffering. I know this post doesn't apply to everyone because some of you were consistent in your replies and said you better contact the authorities and let them handle it.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:39 PM

Did someone say it was okay to break the laws to end a deers suffering?

Old 10-29-2010, 09:19 AM
B&C 180 Class

Well I know in my post it said to ask the Deputy/officer/patrolman if you can help the deer out by ending it's suffering. So that would imply that you would not be breaking the law. If I were heading home at night and hit a deer, and it had a broken back or whatever, you're darn right I would end it's suffering right then and there and then I'd call the Conservation Dept and tell them about it. Then I'd load it in the back of my pickup and probably donate it to feed the hungary. What is illegal about that?

now about the poaching....
I guess I don't see the correlation between a hit deer and poaching? Two totally different things in my mind.....
Old 10-31-2010, 10:06 PM
B&C 100 Class

Oh I'd break the law poaching animals to feed my family way before I'd break the law to end an animal's suffering. If it was between the suffering of family or the suffering of an animal, I'd put an end to the former first and worry about the deer another time.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:06 AM
B&C 180 Class

I think before I ever degraded myself enough to take an animal on someone elses property, I'd hit up a food bank or ask family members for food, personally. That seems a little more realistic in these times, than stealing from someone.
now,, if we were in the 1800's.......