When is everyone starting with estrous? - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 10-30-2010, 05:50 PM
B&C 100 Class

So with Rifle season not starting until Dec 1 and ending Dec 12 in Kansas is this completely out of the rut. Does this season seem late and short to anyone else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2010, 05:55 PM

PA and Ohio gun season start the first Monday after Thanksgiving. The main rut is just about over by then. The smaller secondary rut would come in around Dec 10th-15th for here.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:37 PM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDat View Post
So with Rifle season not starting until Dec 1 and ending Dec 12 in Kansas is this completely out of the rut. Does this season seem late and short to anyone else.
Whodat,
The weather has a lot to do with it. Last year we had a normal rut as it was normal temps. The year before bucks were still rutting at least thru the first weekend of rifle season. I would expect that since it has been so hot the rut will be late. here in extreme SW Kansas there is no sign of the rut starting as bucks are not running with the does yet.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:19 AM
B&C 180 Class

In MISSOURI our rifle season starts typically on the 13, 14, or 15 of November. This year it's the 13th- 23rd. We start at the beginning of the rut. MAKES HUNTING NICE!!! In KS, that season isn't short, very typical i think. Ours always last for 10 days (rifle that is).
It is a little late though.... BUT, towards the end of your season WHODAT, you'll be nearing the 2nd rut of the season...

Here in MO we also have a doe rifle season. It starts the next day after "any deer rifle season". and it lasts for around 10 days as well. Once the main Rifle season is over with (on the 23rd) bow season opens back up as well... but you can't be hunting w/both a bow and gun at the same time.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:20 AM
B&C 180 Class

BY THE WAY-- i used a little estrous scent this weekend (friday night and sat morning) and all I attracted was some does, after dark on fri and 2 coyotes sat morning! Guess the bucks aren't ready for it yet....
Old 11-01-2010, 07:05 PM
B&C 100 Class

Location: currently in oklahoma city, soon I will be moving to little axe oklahoma

since I travel through deer country quite a bit in the course of my job, I get to see alot of deer,probably more than most people. I wait to use the sex scents until I see bucks acting like bucks, being stupid, not paying attention to their surroundings, following doe's ect. I hunt public lands alot so I don't get to set out attractants and food plots and trail cams, I usually scout the area, unless its someplace I have been before (then I know where the deer move through and usually when) looking for tracks and other sign (scrapes ect)

here in oklahoma, if the weather stays warm, like it has this year, the rut is delayed a little bit, hopefully till the beginning of rifle season
Old 11-02-2010, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose19726 View Post
since I travel through deer country quite a bit in the course of my job, I get to see alot of deer,probably more than most people. I wait to use the sex scents until I see bucks acting like bucks, being stupid, not paying attention to their surroundings, following doe's etc. I hunt public lands alot so I don't get to set out attractants and food plots and trail cams, I usually scout the area, unless its someplace I have been before (then I know where the deer move through and usually when) looking for tracks and other sign (scrapes ect)

here in oklahoma, if the weather stays warm, like it has this year, the rut is delayed a little bit, hopefully till the beginning of rifle season
I agree, Excellent post!!!

Old 11-02-2010, 07:02 AM
B&C 160 Class

I hope no one thinks this is stupid but the best deer scout is the ups man. .when im at my place when i can catch em i pick his brain,they drive all the back rds and can tell you when the bucks are cruising.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:51 AM
B&C 100 Class

Location: currently in oklahoma city, soon I will be moving to little axe oklahoma

i don't think it is stupid at all, I am an oilfield truck driver, I spend most of my time out on the back roads, in farmers pasture's and back around the places that deer like. thats how I gauge when the deer are moving, what they are doing ect. just yesterday I was on a job over by binger oklahoma (home of johnny bench) and saw two real nice bucks about 7-800 yards off the location I was working on, just grazing side by side. it gets kind of frustrating sometimes because I see more deer working than hunting, of course I spend more time working than hunting so I guess the ratio is about right...lol
Old 11-02-2010, 08:44 PM
B&C 100 Class

i'm going to start useing this week i had a BIG 8 pointer chasing does tonight in front of me about 60 yards was as close as they would get man that makes the heart pound