hunting with dogs for deer - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 10-25-2010, 06:26 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default what do you think of hunting with dogs for deer

i would like to hear what you guys think of deer hunting with dogs on my last hunt to north carolina rifle season started and the hunting club next to my club was using dogs one half of me says its good because i got a huge buck i would have never seen this deer if their dogs would'nt have come over to our land but the other half of me don't really care for dog in my deer hunting last year the deer were very skidish and i think thats why i think the dogs belong on the porch or chasing a rabbit

Last edited by su106; 10-26-2010 at 07:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2010, 12:15 PM
B&C 180 Class

One of the neighboring houses to the land I hunt have 6 dogs, and they are all the small little yelping kind that drive you crazy. Deer don't want to be around dogs. They spook them too much. Just like coyotes. Sometimes I think when deer see dogs they think they are coyotes and get the heck out of dodge.
In Missouri, we can't "HUNT" with dogs. But we can use dogs to help locate a downed deer. Personally, I wouldn't try it even if we could do it. Too risky if things don't go just right. PLUS, dogs have odor.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:31 AM
B&C 100 Class

dog hunting is a quick fix. stand around talk, smoke, eat, drink and wait for the dogs to get closer. it is not hunting in my opinion. it requires little effort.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:03 AM

We are living in a modern day, technologically advanced society, I think using dogs is a poor choice from a wildlife managemnt standpoint and I personally don't know how anyone can use dogs to get deer and call that a hunt!

History has proven that deer do not stand a chance against Blood Hounds (also known as the St. Hubert hound and Sleuth Hound). Blood Hounds were originally bred to hunt deer and wild boar, a very successful breed.

If there are areas where using dogs is legal, I hope they change that law and put an end to it.
that's my opinion on using dogs.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:14 AM
B&C 160 Class

i have to agree with bruce i just cant see the sport in it.i also think its a form of torture running them deer like that.your running that animal to the point of exhaustion,deer can only run short distances.i no its legal but me personally i would have no interest in a hunt like this.just my opinion
Old 10-27-2010, 01:34 PM
B&C 100 Class

i'm glad to hear others don't care for it i was a bit concerned to put this thread up i feel like this i don't like it but i'm not going to get on someones case if this is what they like last year they ran fearl hogs all summer and deer all season but our club hunts from tower stands so we did'nt get many because they all went nocturnal
Old 10-27-2010, 03:47 PM

We probably will get another side of this issue as the Southern members respond. However, I too don't wish to hunt deer using dogs as the runners. I know there is great history in the use of dogs but I'm not in favor of it.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:18 AM
Scrub Buck

Here in central Virginia it seems to be the only way most hunt deer. I am a still hunter in a dog hunting area. The deer here bed down and make very little movement throughout the day for that reason. It makes it very tough for a still hunter like myself. Don't get me wrong, it is legal, but not wery rewarding. I don't put anybody down for it, just not my cup of tea. I will say it is not as easy as it sounds. Remember those deer are on a full out run when they come by you. I have done it but really wish it would be outlawed. Too many deer injured from bad shots. To each his own I guess.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:47 PM
B&C 160 Class

well can you explain to me whats so hard.im sure somebody is waiting for the deer loaded with buckshot,just waiting to unload on a running deer(brilliant hunting).not all traditions should be continued,we used to burn people at the stake too.i respect thats its legal but no one is gonna convince me that its right.if that was the only way i could hunt deer i would not hunt.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:42 PM

There's no question the meat has to be full of brain/muscle released chemicals from being under stress when shot vs a deer that's simply been feeding or walking along a trail, just from a eating quality standpoint? Up north and throughout the midwest, using dogs to chase rabbits, flush birds, retrieve ducks ect is the norm so I'm not going too deep into this, just is something I wouldn't care to do.