big land mark for me today - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:04 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default big land mark for me today

Ive been out hunting all day today, still am matter of fact. But this morning I found a nice tree that had partially fallen. I decided to make use of it and got in the branches. After clearing the leaves out from where I was standing. I proceeded to use my rattle bag. Only a little, though. About five min later I see a deer coming directly at me. While he/ she (not sure which) was hidden behind a large tree I drew my bow. But the durn deer stopped just outside my shooting range. Stood there for about two min. Before he/she turned and bolted wheezing like the forest was on fire. While agrevated cause apparantly the scent killer I got at walmart isn't worth a crap. I did get one heck of a rush watching it come in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2010, 03:17 PM
B&C 180 Class

joe- awesome man! It's a rush to have deer come that close to you. You never know... it may have been something else that spooked it. Maybe it saw a coyote or smelled something it didn't like. I buy the scent away spray at wal-mart too and it works great. Just be sure to use enough of it. To me, bow hunting is hard to do on the ground and I give alot of respect to those guys and gals that can get it done! But you won't catch me on the ground hunting w/my bow. Now w/my rifle, that's a whole other situation.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:19 PM
B&C 100 Class

I hate being stuck on the ground. Im buying a climber asap. For sure
Old 10-19-2010, 06:47 PM

Just got another ladder stand today in S.Ohio for 49.99
Old 10-19-2010, 07:22 PM
B&C 160 Class

could of spooked after knowing there wasnt another buck there.rattling is tough you are telling a deer your location and if that deer percieves something out of place(i.e. no deer) he's gone.he checked you out for 2 minutes and for him something wasnt just right.had to be exciting though
Old 10-19-2010, 08:40 PM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting Man View Post
Just got another ladder stand today in S.Ohio for 49.99

Nice, I only hunt public land as I dont have any private land to hunt. Being on public land there is no way I would want to leave a stand overnight much less all season.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:29 PM
B&C 160 Class

It smelled you and I doubt any amount of scent away would have helped it, deer can smell things we can't imagine, it may have smelled your breath.

The lesson here is that he came to the rattle and came in down wind. Now how do you get around his nose?
Old 10-20-2010, 09:02 AM

The scent away is a help, not a cure. Im sure the buck was probably down wind and caught a whiff of something he didnt like. Like buckshot said that could just be your breath or something else small that happened that day. Like your arrows having some scent of yourself on them.

Down wind is the key in scent control. The sprays help tremendously but are for sure not a cure all to deer that can smell what seems like anything from 35 miles away.

Good hunt anyway. And they did respond to your rattling.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:22 AM
B&C 180 Class

ok ok ok, enough of telling Joe he has bad breath guys! JOKING! they are probably right. I try to breath through my nose while hunting... sounds stupid, but I do. Plus I hear better when i'm breathing through my nose. (you figure stuff like this out when you are sitting quietly, alone, in the dark, waiting for day light).
Do you use the laundry detergent too?
Old 10-20-2010, 12:41 PM
B&C 100 Class

Thanks guys, cause I didn't think to spray my bow or my arrows. I had just finished eating an apple about 15 minutes before all of this happened. I figured that since deer like apples so much. They would be a good cover scent for my breath.