big land mark for me today - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:42 PM
B&C 100 Class

In your opinions what's the best thing other than breathing threw ur nose. To cover up your breath
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2010, 12:50 PM
B&C 140 Class

as i am usually hunting in pine woods, i put a pine scent wafer in my bow case and in my rifle soft cases. bow string wax has an odd odor. i put them in my rifle cases for the slings. i usually hog hunt during the summer the slings can get mighty sweaty..
Old 10-20-2010, 12:52 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe7137 View Post
In your opinions what's the best thing other than breathing threw ur nose. To cover up your breath
have used a mouth spray from "Dead down wind". seemed to work. now i either chew that gum that is out for hiding your breath or i have a dip of chew in my mouth. i spit in a bottle though.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:25 PM

Scent control is a giant issue for hunters. Some take it lightly others like me may go to extremes. I like to use the scent elimination detergents, hang the clothes outside to dry. Spray them down with scent elimination spray (per instructions) while outside, then pack away into plastic bags/containers. Because PA has lots of pine trees I cut some fresh pine and put in with the clothes. Shower using anti-bacterial soaps and some do chew special gum to deorderize the mouth, I don't. I do however, at camp, use the steam sauna, which I believe cleans the body pores and bacteria really well. I then spray down the clothes every night at camp, hang outside under porch. Every morning spray down clothes,bow, boots,hat, gloves ect ect. After a few hours in stand a light misting of the scent elimination spray is used. This has worked very well for me as I cannot remember the last time being busted by any deer. I only hunt 16' high in ladder stands. I also mist the air with estrus scent every 1/2-1 hour along with ground wicks and scrapes. Hpoe you find some ideas from this and above posts.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:18 PM
B&C 100 Class

my father in law does some stuff that i never would have thought about doing. and i cant do it in my barracks, but i have a week at home before gun season starts, so i can try it out too. he goes around to where he hunts pre season, about a month out, and gathers up leaves, branches, digs up dirt, and about anything else he deems necessary and puts it into a plastic tote. when he gets home he pretty much buries his hunting clothes in the tote and puts it in his garage storage space and lets it "ferment" till the day prior to bow season. as for himself, about 2 weeks out he starts using the scent controlling soaps, shampoos and whatnot to condition his body. he jokingly says he could walk up to a blind deer and they wouldnt know what he was. hes been doing this for the better part of 25 years or so. maybe not the soaps and stuff, but definately the tote thing. says it works for him, and i trust him.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:29 PM
B&C 100 Class

one thing i have learned is you never know what may spook a deer. it can be anything from your scent to maybe the scent of a hunter that was where the deer was standing before you got there. Like i said before, you can do everything right and the deer still not play ball.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:23 AM
B&C 180 Class

FYI, found a 15 ft ladder stand at DICK's for only $59. thought that was pretty good!
Old 10-25-2010, 02:45 PM
B&C 100 Class

Apples, if not a local (normal) food source will alarm deer. After a while they will get curious and eat them, but the "new" smell will alarm them.
Play the wind, use any advantage you can to conceal your scent, move quietly. Use the heigth of the stand to carry away any scent.
Ground blinds can work, but it puts you in their direct feild of vision, its a lot tougher to draw when they can see you.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:59 PM

I don't mind hunting close to local food source but I never use a food type scent product.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:53 PM
B&C 100 Class

Scent killer from walmart is poop. I used to get busted a bunch and I was always using that stuff. Switch to something like white lightening or dead down wind. So far them 2 have worked great