trying something different this year - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:19 AM
B&C 100 Class

Location: currently in oklahoma city, soon I will be moving to little axe oklahoma
Default trying something different this year

its not new, but I have never done it, I finally went and bought a treestand, all my life I have hunted from the ground or some elevated position, but never from a tree stand. I bought a summit goliath because it has a large weight rating and I am a pretty good sized guy and it seems big enough I can at least sit comfortably in it. I had to go with a climber because the landowner won't allow any other type (its free hunting land so I ain't gonna complain bout his rules) I am also taking my ground blind in case I need it

I have read through all the instructions and watched all the video's and climbed a few tree's with it now, does anyone have any additional advice for helping to make a good hunt from s stand?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2010, 11:02 AM
B&C 180 Class

Well many would argue that you just put the advantage on your side when it comes to deer hunting. when you are on the ground or on the same level as the deer, it is MUCH more easier for them to smell/see you. Deer don't naturally look UP. They know that their predators are on the ground (coyotes, bear, even dogs, etc...) are you in a ladder stand? I love ladder stands. I have stands w/no ladders too, but I prefer the ladders. MUCH more comfortable for me, plus I'm a big guy as well. The highest I go is 15ft. Some guys get to 20ft+. Where I hunt, I don't need to be that high.
Make sure you are scent free (which you probably already know from ground hunting) and try to be motionless. When the wind blows, and you're in a tree, you can move, even stand up if you like. but if it dies, you have to be still. Good Luck from MISSOURI!
Old 10-19-2010, 11:47 AM
B&C 140 Class

Although deer are more likely to see/ smell you on the ground as tator said don't be misled into thinking they won't see / smell you in a stand. Stay clean and be still. Most of the time I'm a 20' guy. I like it up there 20-25'. I use hang ons mostly with climbing sticks. I do have a climber that I use occaisionally throughout the year. If you're using a climber, try to climb up in amongst some limbs that will help hide you. Cover is just as important in a tree as on the ground.

I do like hunting on the ground tho. Killed several deer on the ground.

Last edited by Southern Man; 10-19-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:09 PM

one thing I would highly recommend is getting a good safety harness they are pricey but well worth the money if you haven't already purchased one
Old 10-19-2010, 10:52 PM
B&C 160 Class

All good advice. I like it 20- 25' high as well. The Summit stands are great, I don't use anything else. I use the harness Summit provides and it has done well, I have been looking at the new vest type harnesses but haven't bought it yet.

As far as advice I might add a few small things that I like in the stand. One is I carry two ropes to pull my gear up the tree. I like one for my weapon and one for my pack. Another is tree hooks, when I climb a tree the first time I like to put in a couple of screw in hooks to hold my gear. Be sure you have a saw for all the little limbs as you climb, I carry a leatherman that has a small saw.

Practice getting in to your safety harness, I find holding it by the teather and shaking it usually straightens it out where I can see whats what.

Good luck
Old 10-20-2010, 08:01 AM
B&C 100 Class

Location: currently in oklahoma city, soon I will be moving to little axe oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfdeputy2 View Post
one thing I would highly recommend is getting a good safety harness they are pricey but well worth the money if you haven't already purchased one
all good ideas, the summit stand came with a saftey harness, I have already fitted it and gotten used to it, wasn't difficult cause I use one at work frequently
I don't plan on getting real high in the tree's, just enough to imrove my vantage point some, the ropes and hooks and saw is a great idea and I am going to make sure they are in the gear I carry
Old 10-20-2010, 08:48 AM

I know you already "liked" buckshot's advice but I just wanted to add a big ol

I AGREE

with everything he said in that post. All good tips for making tree stand hunting more comfortable. You did good on your purchase. I like Summit stands.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:04 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
I use the harness Summit provides and it has done well, I have been looking at the new vest type harnesses........
Good luck
Buckshot, I bought one of those Hunter safety system vest / harness things. Worked well but I didn't like the way it hid the camo I was wearing. My camo is a little different thatn the realtree/mossyoak stuff. This year I bought the hunter safety system harness without the vest. It has padded straps and the underleg buckles are not seat belt couplings but a quieter clip and a lil smaller too. Works great. I especially like the linemans belt for hanging stands/sticks, etc. Kind of pricey but good quality.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:03 AM
B&C 180 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
Buckshot, I bought one of those Hunter safety system vest / harness things. Worked well but I didn't like the way it hid the camo I was wearing. My camo is a little different thatn the realtree/mossyoak stuff. This year I bought the hunter safety system harness without the vest. It has padded straps and the underleg buckles are not seat belt couplings but a quieter clip and a lil smaller too. Works great. I especially like the linemans belt for hanging stands/sticks, etc. Kind of pricey but good quality.
I always put my harness on underneath my outter layer. that way, the black from the harness is not sticking out like a sore thumb. I have a real nice heavy fleece camo sweatshirt I wear over the top of it this time of year and it works well. Just run the tree strap out the top of your outter layer behind your head. anyone else do this?
Old 10-21-2010, 09:12 AM
B&C 160 Class

SM what brand is your new harness?

Tator I do the same thing, some of the parts are plastic on my sumitt harness and it helps hold down the noise if they brush the teestand.