Getting permission from landowner? - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:09 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default Getting permission from landowner?

This is from my buck lickers mineral thread but I thought I'd start a new thread cause it's of a different topic.

So there's about 140 acres of land behind our house owned by a very rich business guy who lives mainly in colorado but also has a $25mil house on top of an adjacent knoll. The 140 acres is mostly field with some paved driveways, a few sculptures, a pond decorated with really nice landscaping, and a couple buildings that were renovated from and old barn and an old pavillion.

Now I see a lot of deer back there, and there's a couple nice bucks that look to be pushing the 130" range. I'd love to hunt them but I need to get permission first (obviously). I just discovered that this land is right outside of city limits, so I can use a gun and all that.

There have been construction workers working on this property for the past year and a half every day except sundays and holidays (and really bad weather). Recently, I've noticed a guy driving around at dusk scaring deer away from the landscaping where they put down fresh sod. I imagine the deer are becoming a pest to them.

So how should I go about asking permission to hunt on the land? Could I talk to one of the workers who scares off the deer and see if he can get a deal with the landowner for me to hunt? Since they don't want the deer it seems like I might have a chance at hunting. But what's the best way to ask permission?

Thanks for any advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2010, 03:19 PM
B&C 180 Class

Hello again, new post, but same problem... I would ask the workers if there would be a chance, and maybe for a phone number of this "rich guy". I seriously doubt that he will want you to gun hunt. It's been my experience when asking for permission to hunt always bow hunt, UNLESS it's ALOT more area than you're talking about. Plus it sounds like you are next to some houses and development areas, so gun may not be a good idea. You might want to check and see if you are ok to even use a gun that close to city limits,, just because you are "outside" of city limits when hunting doesn't mean there aren't regulations w/how far you have to be. I hope you get permission to hunt! Good luck
Old 10-18-2010, 03:57 PM
B&C 100 Class

Thanks and yeah, I'm not sure if the gun will be as good an idea as a bow because there are houses all around the property (but I know where every building is located even if I can't see it, so I would know to pick my shots carefully). Maybe I'll just start asking about hunting the deer in general with pest control in mind, and then if I think I might be able to get permission then I'll figure out whether they want me to use a bow or gun.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:06 PM
B&C 160 Class

Send him a letter, you won't get his phone number. He probably has a property manger that you might have a better chance of talking to as well.