Buck lickers apple mineral - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 10-16-2010, 03:01 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default Buck lickers apple mineral

I bought the buck lickers apple-flavored mineral lick at wally world because it was the cheapest salt block and I want to see the deer behind our house. We're in city limits and the land behind our house is owned by some business guy with a lot of $$ who lives mainly in colorado. So I'm not sure how much luck I'd have trying to get permission to hunt the deer so I figured I'd just feed them so we can enjoy them in our backyard. I'll be putting corn under the fence as a sort of antler trap during shed season...

Anyway I saw a small 8 pt buck the next morning after I put out the block. Then the following night I went out and heard some deer moving around back there in the darkness. And then the next morning (this morning) there was another buck back at the lick. I also put out a little corn everyday. Seems like they could really smell the salt lick right away...who else has used this one in particular?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2010, 09:44 AM
B&C 180 Class

Haven't used the one you're talking about but I highly recommend the TROPHY ROCK. It's the one product I always use every year and they do not lie on TV when they say "if you have bucks on your property, you will find them w/the trophy rock". I have set out trophy rocks numerous times next to a trail cam and I have gotten bucks I didn't even know were there. TRY it... they are around $12-$15 a rock.
I also use apple flavored corn. It's usually around $5/ 40lb bag. Here in Missouri though, we can't put out any grain or feed that is attracting to deer. We can put out salt and mineral licks and use scents though... If you are trying to hunt your area, make sure you know the regulations on baiting....
ALSO- about the rich business guy's land. If you don't know this guy, I would write him a letter and ask him for permission to hunt his land. What I would include with it though, is the willingness to help him "clean up his land" (pick up fallen trees/branches/hedge apples/etc...) and also help him with watching the fence line. Sort of being his "eye" on the land while he's away. Don't mention anything about paying.... for obvious reasons. I think you may be surprised... make sure you tell him you neighbor up to his property as well and that you're just not some "outsider". Many times lang owners don't want deer on their land for multiple reasons. If he leases the land out to farmers, I'll GUARANTEE you he doesn't want deer there. just a thought.. GOOD LUCK!!!

Last edited by tator; 10-18-2010 at 09:49 AM.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:24 AM
B&C 100 Class

Thanks for the advice...in fact, there's a guy out in a truck often during dusk just scaring the deer away from the expensive landscaping that's on one side of the property. I even came across a big salt block and corn on the opposite side of the property, guessing it's to keep the deer away from the greens. Right now there are construction workers out there every day - they have been for the past year and a half at least, they are constantly doing work adding landscape, sculptures, driveways, etc. Not sure how likely it would be that I could get permission to hunt but if I run out and ask the guy scaring the deer if they need pest control, maybe I could work something out...
Old 10-18-2010, 10:43 AM
Scrub Buck

You could also write Mr. Richie Rich a letter, complaining about his deer going into your property, and if he does not "control" his animals, you will have to take matters into your own hands, and hope he reply with "you'll be doning me a favour"
Old 10-18-2010, 12:08 PM
B&C 180 Class

addoelephant- i doubt that a letter threatening anything will get anywhere... just a thought.
catman- i was completely thinking it was a large field that was behind you, not a place with sculptures and construction going on. Is it a development? Are they building houses? How many acres are you talking about? The reason I'm asking is they will be trying to get new grass to grow. Deer love new grass, that's why they have those salt licks and grain out there. I would definately write the letter and tell the property owner that you have "noticed" he's trying to keep deer away, and you could do him a "free" service. PLUS, when cold weather comes, all the construction will likely move indoors.

You might just get lucky and become "that guy" who "scares" them away,,,, but you'll shoot them before they get scared! :)
Old 10-18-2010, 12:56 PM
B&C 100 Class

It's about 140 acres and it's mostly field, some tree lines and wooded area but also driveways, landscaping around a pond and yes they put in a ton of new sod which is probably what the deer really want. No houses except for a couple buildings towards one end of the property that were built from old existing barns/sheds. The property used to be leased to cattle farmers. The deer love it out there and maybe I could get a deal with the guys trying to keep deer off the grass and maybe get permission from the owner to hunt some. If I can get a compound bow to use cause I think it's in city limits and couldn't use a gun..

Oh update...I just found a map of our city limits border and found that our backyard is the border, and the 140 acres is outside of city limits. Now I just need to borrow a gun... I don't have much hunting gear yet (in college with not much money..you know) but I know people who might let me borrow a gun.